Alienware M17x R3 Brand New 7970m Died!

mitch8198

Honorable
May 1, 2013
Hi all
And the problems with my laptop continue, here we go:
My laptop is a M17x R3 that used to have a 6990m and 8GB of ram, A12 bios
The 6990m decided it wouldn't accept drivers anymore. After me spending 2 days on it and a computer shop spending one day on it I gave up and bought a 7970m from ebay for $400 NZD and imported it from china.

Installed the card along with a extra 8GB of RAM while I was at it. Forgot to plug fan in for card, it worked flawlessly for 30min and then died. New GPU "not detected" in BIOS. Bought another 7970m from china binned the first one and installed it properly this time. (over $900 spent at this point eeek)

Eveything worked this time, installed card, disabled iGPU in BIOS (changed from SG to PEG), installed AMD drivers, loaded up a stress test and card had 75C load temps which are incredible since 85C+ were common on the old 6990m. Played some BF4 and got great fps at 40+ on ultra.

Yesterday (5 hours of proper gaming later and about 2 days later) the new card decided to crap out too, laptop just randomly crashed with horizontal lines, got 8 beeps at POST indicating no GPU detected, reset CMOS battery (this carry on is getting old now :) ) GPU was detected this time as ATI GFX in BIOS, had to resort back to Intel Integrated Graphics as drivers would no longer install, and yes tried the safe mode driver sweeper etc process to get rid of old ones.

Has anyone heard of this type of thing before? A card frying after working perfectly through a 1hr stress test and then a few hours of gaming and then just suddenly going? A card detected in device manager but failing to boot when PEG is selected in BIOS? I am stumped and this is my work computer as well and Intel Graphics really don't cut it for CAD lol.

Thanks for reading any comments / advice would be appreciated.............