Alienware M17X R3 "plugged in, not charging"

KalinoJr

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017
I recently bought a used M17X R3 from a friend and am receiving the message of "plugged in not charging". I have done everything I can think of at this point so I'm reaching out.
Tried so far: BIOS update, power drain (disconnected cord and battery, holding power for 30), went into BIOS and unplugged re-plugged AC adapter, new battery and cord, uninstalled the Microsoft ACPI-compliant control method battery driver. Still receiving the error message. Any help would be much appreciated.

Since you already said you tried a new battery and a new charger cord (which would have been my first suggestions) I would not repeat that. However, since you don't mention the kind of battery and charger cord you got, I will have to. The reason being that if you got aftermarket ones, it is completely possible that they won't resolve the problem (and won't work correctly in your device) leading you to think they aren't the fix when it fact they could be. I have seen a lot of problems with laptops and aftermarket parts, so if that is the kind of battery and/or charger you got, I would look into getting the right ones from the manufacturer instead.

Now if you already actually got those, then well, no point in repeating. :)

If that didn't/doesn't resolve the issue, you may want to see if it is a charging circuit issue. If you are familiar with the inside of the device, then you should be good testing this out. However if you aren't, then it can seem daunting and you may want to take it to someone to have it looked at.

KalinoJr

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017

KalinoJr

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017
I've bought the ones from dell. So they should work. I don't see it in my BIOS at all either. They are the A12 BIOS, the most up to date ones I can find.

KalinoJr

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017
I have reverted back to as far as A08 with no joy. Sadly, this is now happening on both my and my friends M17X R3. Sadly I can't find a video on the the proper installations.