Alienware M17X R4 Black screen while gaming. Overheating?

Samsamproducts

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
I have an alienware m17x r4 that, after between 20 seconds and 10 mins of gaming the display goes black and is non-responsive. I used open hardware monitor to check the temps and it shut down after about 30 seconds of Unigine Heaven, but it was only at 65 degrees.

Here is a screenshot of the idle temps: http://prntscr.com/b64kei

I am going to replace the thermal paste and clean the fans asap when I have time. If anyone has been having a simmilar problem, or has any ideas as to what the problem may be, I would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks!

Hi,

Here are some troubleshooting steps that I can suggest.
- First is to connect an external monitor onto your laptop and see if the same problem will persist on it.
- If the external monitor will work just fine that means it's the built in display that is faulty.
- But if the same problem will happen on the external monitor that could mean that there's a problem with the GPU itself.
- Try doing a clean install of the graphics card driver that may also help.
- Here's a guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html
- If doing a clean install of the driver will still not work that means it's the GPU that is faulty.
- Do also test it after you clean the inside and applied new thermal paste on the CPU and GPU.

Hi,

Here are some troubleshooting steps that I can suggest.
- First is to connect an external monitor onto your laptop and see if the same problem will persist on it.
- If the external monitor will work just fine that means it's the built in display that is faulty.
- But if the same problem will happen on the external monitor that could mean that there's a problem with the GPU itself.
- Try doing a clean install of the graphics card driver that may also help.
- Here's a guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html
- If doing a clean install of the driver will still not work that means it's the GPU that is faulty.
- Do also test it after you clean the inside and applied new thermal paste on the CPU and GPU.

Samsamproducts

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Turns out it was a bad graphics driver, got this on craigslist for a really good deal because the guy thought it was a very serious problem. Uninstalled the driver with DDU and reinstalled the latest drivers from Nvidia and it works perfectly, Thanks!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AntmanMcLean Laptop Tech Support 1
RegisZDB Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1
H Laptop Tech Support 0
G Laptop Tech Support 3
D Laptop Tech Support 11
I Laptop Tech Support 1
E Laptop Tech Support 1
L Laptop Tech Support 3
D Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 27