Alienware vs Lenovo - Which is the better Laptop brand?

majinlegacy

Estimable
Mar 17, 2015
I currently have a Alienware 15 2015 version, it has 8gb with a Nvidia GTX 965m. Well I've been wanting to upgrade the RAM and add another SSD.

Well been looking into it, and I just saw this Lenovo Y700 at Best Buy. It has a Nvidia GTX 960 4GB, Intel Skylake i7, DDR4 memory. I thought maybe I'll just buy that and upgrade it. Which is better? Should I save or not? I've been happy with Alienware, but I feel it's only a matter of time for me to upgrade.

Solution
Since you already have the Alienware 15 2015 edition, I do not see the point in buying the Lenovo Y700.

While the Y700 may have a newer generation CPU, the performance difference vs the previous generation is not that big. If your Alienware has a dual core i5 / i7 CPU and the Y700 has a quad core i7 CPU, then the Y700 will have the more powerful CPU.

Your Alienware's GTX 965m is more powerful than the GTX 960m in the Lenovo laptop. Therefore, you will be losing some performance if you were to buy the Y700.

CelicaGT

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013

Overpriced? Perhaps. Put you realize they could be made at the opposite ends of the same factory right?

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014

What does that have to do anything? And I don't think they're made in the same factory, but it does stand true that their prices are awfully high IMO.

misssmith11

Editor
Herald
Feb 4, 2014

Hey there, having reviewed iterations of both systems, I'd just upgrade your Alienware -- it has a better display, audio, and GPU -- all you have to do is swap out some RAM and get the SSD. The Alienware also has a better keyboard and battery life overall and there's also the optional graphics amp.

Since you already have the Alienware 15 2015 edition, I do not see the point in buying the Lenovo Y700.

While the Y700 may have a newer generation CPU, the performance difference vs the previous generation is not that big. If your Alienware has a dual core i5 / i7 CPU and the Y700 has a quad core i7 CPU, then the Y700 will have the more powerful CPU.

Your Alienware's GTX 965m is more powerful than the GTX 960m in the Lenovo laptop. Therefore, you will be losing some performance if you were to buy the Y700.

Solution

CelicaGT

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013

It has to do with everything, you can't use a blanket statement like "Dell/Alienware/Lenovo/HP/whatever suck" when most cases these rigs are built by the same ODM at the same level of quality, crap sometimes it's the SAME CHASSIS with different branding. Now, if you want to complain about something less anecdotal like how Dell's service sucks because of this thing they did (or did not) do I can get behind ya.