All the usb points on my laptop have died slow deaths due to lap use. Any ideas

steverob32

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Hello,

My daughter has killed all the usb ports on her laptop and is now using the touch pad. Are there any mice that work without the need to plug in at all?

Txs

steve

Hello steverob32;

What manner of death the USB ports die? You might be able to resurrect one or more.

Does your laptop have Bluetooth? If yes, you can use a bluetooth mouse which won't require a USB port.

steverob32

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

Hi there general use really not thinking where the lead was therefore putting strain on the port. I think the problem is that a proper connection cannot be made when you plug the mouse in. Don't think it has bluetooth is it easy to find out?

steverob32

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

Hi probably a daft question, is it obvious if you have a express card port?

They're kind of hard to miss.
15503.jpg

What make and model of laptop?

You can open Device Manager and look in the Network Adapters section.
If you have Bluetooth it will be listed there, along with WiFi and possibly Ethernet adapter.

steverob32

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Hi it's from the Stone Group who manufacture them themselves. LOL nothing's hard to miss if you know what you are looking for! Looking on this laptop, there is nothing below the CD entry point as there is in the above photo. On the other side there is a slot that has dsd/mmc/ms by it - no idea what that is for> I will have a look in device manager as requested. Cheers!

That large PCI card slot would be along side the DVD player.
The small slot below the PCI card slot would have been for something like an SD Flash card.

Got a link and a model nbr for that 'Stone Group' laptop?

steverob32

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
only that it is the stone group model looks like NT303 or C5108 it was supplied as a 'gift'' to my eldest son who has autism, so I had no input as to what we got, it just turned up. I will not even ask what a SD Flash card is lol. U can tell I am from a pre computer generation!

Networking
10/100
Intel 1000 802.11 B,G,N or Intel 6200 802.11 A,B,G,N
Optional HSDPA Module
Optional Bluetooth™ 2.1 + EDR

It looks like you can add Bluetooth - probably an add on card slipped inside the chassis.