Alleged iPad 3 Case Pics Point to Bigger Battery, New Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
*yawn*... rumors... predictions... meanwhile, Asus Transformer Prime Full HD is kicking everyone's ass and new iteration is surely on the way... whoever will get an iPad over this monster doesn't know what to do with his/her money.

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Apps.....short for applications, meaning every *.exe file is a "app" on a windows system. Apple just pushed a trendy name so idiots with no idea of what is going on in any computer or smartphone could sound techie and feel good about the $500 they just wasted on slave labor products that track their use and movements so they can be better advertised to.

Copied from another thread.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]*yawn*... rumors... predictions... meanwhile, Asus Transformer Prime Full HD is kicking everyone's ass and new iteration is surely on the way... whoever will get an iPad over this monster doesn't know what to do with his/her money.[/citation]

I find your post utter nonsense, your assumptions that a consumer who purchases something other than an Asus Transformer Prime is wasting their money... Did you ever think that certain people already are invested into a platform?

I have held and used the Asus Transformer in Best Buy recently and it is a nice unit, however, since I already own an Apple product, I would not want to re-purchase applications that I already purchased on the iPad. One of the same reasons I do not own an Apple laptop, because all my Windows Applications would cost a small fortune to re-purchase just for an Apple laptop..

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]I find your post utter nonsense, your assumptions that a consumer who purchases something other than an Asus Transformer Prime is wasting their money... Did you ever think that certain people already are invested into a platform?I have held and used the Asus Transformer in Best Buy recently and it is a nice unit, however, since I already own an Apple product, I would not want to re-purchase applications that I already purchased on the iPad. One of the same reasons I do not own an Apple laptop, because all my Windows Applications would cost a small fortune to re-purchase just for an Apple laptop..[/citation]
Yeah, because you made the wrong purchase decision a couple months/years ago.

zzz_b

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I really would like to know one thing: who was the idiot that came up with the "retina display" naming??? Does he know the resolution of our eyes? Probably not.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]zzz_b[/nom]I really would like to know one thing: who was the idiot that came up with the "retina display" naming??? Does he know the resolution of our eyes? Probably not.[/citation]
Your eyes don't have a resolution, they just don't work like that. You could measure the number of rods/cones, but that's also pretty meaningless since they are not analogous to pixels. They're also not evenly distributed, with some areas containing literally none (around the optic nerve, that's your blind spot) and other areas having them tightly packed (which is why the center of your field of view has more detail than your peripherals).

More critically than the inability to make an analogy between rod/cone count and resolution, your brain does not interpret the input in the way a pixel would be interpreted. Your brain does a great deal of smoothing and substitution to build the image you see. You've got gigantic blind spots in both your eyes that is much larger than the full moon. You don't notice because your brain interpolates what it thinks should be there to complete the image.

G

WooHoo!! people must be saying "Take my money and kill the workers!"

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]*yawn*... rumors... predictions... meanwhile, Asus Transformer Prime Full HD is kicking everyone's ass and new iteration is surely on the way... whoever will get an iPad over this monster doesn't know what to do with his/her money.[/citation]
You mean that "monster" Transformer Prime that has a GPU solution that cant even best an iPad2? CPU wise, the Prime and the iPad3 should be roughly equal assuming the A6 SoC is a quad core A9 as speculated, but the Tegra3 GPU solution will cant even compete with the SGX543MP2 that the iPad2 has.. No one knows if the A6 is going to use that same GPU or even even more powerful one to support the high res of the iPad3.. That being said, if they ever come out with those 7" Tegra3 tablets for $250 that I keep hearing about, I'll probably get myself one of those.. If I had $700+ to blow on a tablet, I might consider the iPad3..

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Your eyes don't have a resolution, they just don't work like that. You could measure the number of rods/cones, but that's also pretty meaningless since they are not analogous to pixels. They're also not evenly distributed, with some areas containing literally none (around the optic nerve, that's your blind spot) and other areas having them tightly packed (which is why the center of your field of view has more detail than your peripherals).More critically than the inability to make an analogy between rod/cone count and resolution, your brain does not interpret the input in the way a pixel would be interpreted. Your brain does a great deal of smoothing and substitution to build the image you see. You've got gigantic blind spots in both your eyes that is much larger than the full moon. You don't notice because your brain interpolates what it thinks should be there to complete the image.[/citation]

the human eye does perceive images differently, but it can be quantified in pixels. The approximate resolution the human eye can perceive depends on visual accuracy --> the maximum distance between 2 dots (i.e. pixels) at witch (distance) an observer can distinguish between the two (points). This sums up @ about a maximum resolution of 20k by 20k (~7 million blue rods in the eye of witch ~50% are in use @ one time or another) pixels per eye, presuming it's in perfect health and has 20:20 vision.

TL:DR - human vision can be quantified in pixels/resolution but it's hard to determine exactly.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]razzb3d[/nom]the human eye does perceive images differently, but it can be quantified in pixels. The approximate resolution the human eye can perceive depends on visual accuracy --> the maximum distance between 2 dots (i.e. pixels) at witch (distance) an observer can distinguish between the two (points). This sums up @ about a maximum resolution of 20k by 20k (~7 million blue rods in the eye of witch ~50% are in use @ one time or another) pixels per eye, presuming it's in perfect health and has 20:20 vision.TLR - human vision can be quantified in pixels/resolution but it's hard to determine exactly.[/citation]
But this still leaves major problems. How do you account for the differing concentrations of rods and cones? You may be able to perceive 20k horizontal pixels, but the majority of those are going to be concentrated in a very small area of visibility.

You can get a number, but that number isn't very meaningful. That's what I was driving at, that you're not going to be able to compare the human eye's abilities to pixel counts in a meaningful way.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
The day is coming soon that Apple haters fear the most. The launch of a new iPad. They hope it'll suck. They hope people won't buy it. And then they'll sit back and whine when all the reviewers love it and when millions of people buy them as fast as Apple can make them.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
How's that GPS workin' for ya? What's it like losing your WiFi when you go to the next room in your house?

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]But this still leaves major problems. How do you account for the differing concentrations of rods and cones? You may be able to perceive 20k horizontal pixels, but the majority of those are going to be concentrated in a very small area of visibility.You can get a number, but that number isn't very meaningful. That's what I was driving at, that you're not going to be able to compare the human eye's abilities to pixel counts in a meaningful way.[/citation]

The retina display is simply the display resolution (taking into account typical viewing distance) where a typical viewer is unable to distinguish between the pixels on the device, when they look at, say, text on that screen.

This refers to the specific part of the screen the user is focused on, and thus differing concentrations of rods and cones in peripheral vision are irrelevant.

It's not about the user being able to see the whole screen in one go - it's about there not being an appearance of pixelation in the area on which the users eyes are focused.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Apple haters lol. Get a life go buy android garbage if you dont like it. Asus transformer what, the 4 people that know about those I guess are happy with them...Can it do 2048 x 1536 res or quad core like the Ipad 3 ...no sit down then.[/citation]

The Transformer Prime is Quad Core.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]The retina display is simply the display resolution (taking into account typical viewing distance) where a typical viewer is unable to distinguish between the pixels on the device, when they look at, say, text on that screen.This refers to the specific part of the screen the user is focused on, and thus differing concentrations of rods and cones in peripheral vision are irrelevant. It's not about the user being able to see the whole screen in one go - it's about there not being an appearance of pixelation in the area on which the users eyes are focused.[/citation]
You seem to have responded to the wrong person. I've not mentioned the retina display a single time. I was responding to zzz_b's criticism based on the "resolution" of the human eye, and saying that trying to compare a display against the eye is meaningless.

hiryu

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Let me check if I care...checking...checking even deeper...nope. :)[/citation]
You spent the time to read this article and leave a comment, obviously you did "care"

Status
Not open for further replies.