Alleged NASA Hacker Granted Stay in UK

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rpenri

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
[citation][nom]techguy911[/nom]You are 100% right the damage he is accused of they have no proof it is fabricated, files cannot be really deleted over a network unless there is some type of file shredding utility in place, any deleted file can be un-deleted in seconds.The $370,000 of damage they claim he did is bogus and what is really funny he is not the first, there is a teen 15 miles from where i live they claimed the exact same thing word for word the chances for that happening is very slim.The military backs up all there servers there is no way he could have done any permanent damage, i have been following his case and the teen from canada.Why if he was looking around at data would he delete data on a server that has nothing to do with the server he was looking at they are separate machines.They are using misinformation and using peoples lack of computer knowledge to make him look guilty of causing damage.Besides i know for a fact that the network was not setup properly in the first place and that at the time people could go in and look at the data without doing any hacking they were caught with there pants down.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQhF6lApr8E[/citation]

So, when the US has to hire security experts at a PREMIUM to fix all the security holes, that's not damage? Those systems that are password locked must be removed/wiped clean or whatever because they don't know if anything was left on there like a backdoor for later access. You think those guys work for free? Who is going to pay for those guys to come and fix it? The American tax payers?

It may have been a blessing in disguise, since his presence caused them to amp up their security measures...but that doesn't excuse his actions.

So what you're saying is that because there was a teenager 15 miles away from you who did it, it's okay to do it? If you leave the door to your home unlocked, it's okay for some stranger to just walk in and start poking through your underwear drawer and desks? What if he changed the locks to your front door so you couldn't go in? Would that anger you?

Why don't you go ahead and try the same thing? Please. I want to hear about some idiot named techguy911 being in the news. Why don't you put your money where your mouth is?

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
[citation][nom]rpenri[/nom]So, when the US has to hire security experts at a PREMIUM to fix all the security holes, that's not damage? Those systems that are password locked must be removed/wiped clean or whatever because they don't know if anything was left on there like a backdoor for later access. You think those guys work for free? Who is going to pay for those guys to come and fix it? The American tax payers?It may have been a blessing in disguise, since his presence caused them to amp up their security measures...but that doesn't excuse his actions.So what you're saying is that because there was a teenager 15 miles away from you who did it, it's okay to do it? If you leave the door to your home unlocked, it's okay for some stranger to just walk in and start poking through your underwear drawer and desks? What if he changed the locks to your front door so you couldn't go in? Would that anger you?Why don't you go ahead and try the same thing? Please. I want to hear about some idiot named techguy911 being in the news. Why don't you put your money where your mouth is?[/citation]

Don't you get it there was no hacking they left passwords blank he didn't have do anything other then go in and take a look around, the damage is fake there was none, sure its illegal to go looking around government computers but he warned the admins that there was no security to fix it, weeks gone by it was still wide open he left more messages.
I have tested many company networks for security most are open anyone can go in, it was the fault of the people who set it up in the first place.
What i am getting at is government computers networks were not safe at the time but the damage they claim he did was not true.
The only way they could extradite him is to claim damage beyond $5000.
Its not like he got away with it he was in jail in his country for computer trespass.

rpenri

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
[citation][nom]techguy911[/nom]Don't you get it there was no hacking they left passwords blank he didn't have do anything other then go in and take a look around, the damage is fake there was none, sure its illegal to go looking around government computers but he warned the admins that there was no security to fix it, weeks gone by it was still wide open he left more messages.I have tested many company networks for security most are open anyone can go in, it was the fault of the people who set it up in the first place.What i am getting at is government computers networks were not safe at the time but the damage they claim he did was not true.The only way they could extradite him is to claim damage beyond $5000.Its not like he got away with it he was in jail in his country for computer trespass.[/citation]

First of all, you don't even know how the US military works, so why are you claiming to have knowledge of what kinds of damage was done??? Have you ever served in the US military? No. So stop talking like you know everything. Because you don't.

The fact is, disruptions cost money. People in the US military know that when things don't get done on time, the government loses money. I knew this when I was a servicemember, as well as everyone else in the US military. If you miss something as innocuous as a dental appointment, you cost the taxpayers money. That's why if you miss a government appointment, you get into a LOT of trouble.

You STILL don't understand that part, do you? The only thing you see is the direct consequence of his actions...but there are INDIRECT costs associated with his attack on the network. Those Army and Navy systems went down without notice, depriving workers of access to system resources required to perform their jobs. This isn't a case of just losing data, but productivity as well. Unlike most civilian companies and corporations, the purpose of the US military is to wage war. When you disrupt their network, our troops' lives are put at risk because those systems may be integral for our war fighting efforts. There would be no doubt backup systems, but it shouldn't even have to come to that, should it? The US government is the LARGEST consumer of computer hardware and maintains the LARGEST array of networks in the world. It is hard to keep every single one up to date without bankrupting the American people.

If weapons usage by the Navy were logged there, and these weapons needed to be pulled out at x date and time, the weapons maintainers wouldn't have access to that data in a timely matter and would cause a backlog and disruption that inevitably leads to more work and stress for our people and costs for the American taxpayer.

Not to mention that personal troop information is frequently sent across those networks. The US military tracks its people through their SSAN numbers, which is one way for identity thieves to steal identities.

So until the day you serve in the US military or become a US taxpayer, STFU. It's people like you that make me wish the US would detonate one of our many nukes stationed in your country. And yes, we have American nukes in your country. The government would probably deny it, but it's true. They've been there since the days of SAC (Strategic Air Command), when US bombers used RAF Lakenheath as a staging point to drop nukes on Russia. The Cold War is over, but they're kept there "just in case". Our F-15s stationed there are capable of being armed with nukes to deploy over Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.