Always working Fan

magnificent_90

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2012
Hi all

I have a GX680 MSI laptop for five years ,approximately.
It's been a while that I see my laptop's fan is working all the time from booting up to shutting down.
I have no idea why it happens!

I have upgraded from Win 7 to 10 (64X)
Graphic driver is 353.62
CPUID Harware Monitor has given me the following information

CPU temperature 85-95
CPU voltage 0.74 - 1.23
Hard drive temp. 43
Graphic temp. 59

above information is when I have opened Opera browser and groove music player!

P.S. fan some very short times stops working (or let's say slowers down) but that's just for a few minutes and increases very soon

magnificent_90

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2012

what do you mean by "there's very little you can actually do" ?
can I open it up myself or I should get somebody to open it?

You're welcome. :D

Well, it's tolerable, but still pretty high. The chassis construction of your GX680 is very similar to the construction of the chassis of the laptop in my sig (MSI GT70), and the CPU in my laptop runs about 40 degrees at idle. I'm guessing your CPU could probably use a reapplication of thermal paste (such as Arctic Silver 5, for example). If you wish to do this, follow the same disassembly instructions as before from the video. The next step in the video after the removal of the fan shows the procedure for removing the heat sink from the CPU (from approximately 1:48-2:07). Once you have gotten the new paste, Google something like "removal and reapplication of thermal paste on CPU", which should show various techniques for accomplishing that part of the task correctly.