Am i alright from the CCleaner backdoor?

Myronazz

Honorable
Sep 5, 2016
Hello,

i noticed on a trend from Twitter that CCleaner has been hacked with a backdoor and people can access your computer with it

Am i alright?
Fortunately, i had CCleaner disabled from startup and it wasn't running
i probably runned it 1 or 2 times

As soon as i heard the news, i immediately uninstalled it and run a malwarebytes scan
it didn't find anything though

so am i okay? any more steps to take?

Thank you, your help is very much appreciated

Solution
Hi Myronazz -- no need to worry. The potential threat was neutralized before any harm could come to our users, we're committed to protecting our fans and customers.

Updating your version of CCleaner removes the malicious code (which, again, was rendered useless by taking down the attacker's operation)

The full details are here: https://blog.avast.com/update-to-the-ccleaner-5.33.6162-security-incident

Thanks for raising the concern and for being patient with us, I believe the post will answer all of your questions and show the steps that were taken to protect CCleaner users.

Myronazz

Honorable
Sep 5, 2016
Unfortunately, i was hasty and uninstalled CCleaner immediately, thinking every version is affected
after i did further research i noticed only a certain version for 32bit systems was affected

i did download CCleaner between 15aug-12sept, but i don't know what architecture of it i had so i have no idea if i was affected or not, is there no way to find out what version of ccleaner you had even if you uninstalled it?

i wanted to the previous versions of my C: drive and there was one that was done a couple of minutes ago
not sure whether or not this was before i still had CCleaner, so i opened it up and looked for the folder "Pliform" on both Program Files folders and found nothing

So i have no idea of knowing if i was affected or not, i did a full Malwarebytes scan in everydrive and nothing was found
but im still worried because i also read that they got information about my computer like my MAC address

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017
Hi Myronazz -- no need to worry. The potential threat was neutralized before any harm could come to our users, we're committed to protecting our fans and customers.

Updating your version of CCleaner removes the malicious code (which, again, was rendered useless by taking down the attacker's operation)

The full details are here: https://blog.avast.com/update-to-the-ccleaner-5.33.6162-security-incident

Thanks for raising the concern and for being patient with us, I believe the post will answer all of your questions and show the steps that were taken to protect CCleaner users.

Solution

tfranks1988

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017

Kaspersky lap will find the backdoor and remove it. It did on my PC and i even pay for prrmium of malwarebytes and it couldnt find it or detect it whatsoever. Kaspersky lap is amazing....(no matter what the U.S. gov says).