Amazing 3D HD Content Crammed Into 4KB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]cruiseoveride[/nom]Interesting. Can these techniques be used with actual video and audio?[/citation]

Kind of, not really, maybe in the future? The idea as I understand it from studying theprodukkt [and kkreiger by association] is that you use math to compute textures, sound, and such. When sound synth becomes better maybe the same tricks can be used to reproduce music "from scratch", but for now it's a mostly midi-synth, polygon and texture kind of thing.

On a side note, I remember a single 64k demo from the produkkt stating at the end that it had uncompressed and created 3 terabytes of data during run-time. These people are geniuses, simply enough.

[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]symantec won't let you see any of the 4K files, it flags all of them as trojans and moves to quarantine.[/citation]

Avast, AVG, etc. Stop paying for bloated software!

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
So here's what I view it as: a skewed portrayal of the value of hard drive space and processing power.

In other words, we prioritized hard drive space massively and devoted more into the original formula or encoding. In a world where everyone's computer was running at 90ghz with several terabytes of RAM, but harddrives were only in the single-digit megabytes sizes, then this sort of thing would pop up more frequently and would be used universally.

Fortunately, we settled for a different balance. Encoding and design does not take an absurd amount of time and fine-tuning and programming, and (sorta) in exchange, our video files often reach the gigabyte range, both of which are things we can afford and accept.

LionelHutz

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
This stuff is cool, but impractical for the typically desired use of displaying ARBITRARY video, such as video frames for a movie. You're basically just wandering around an interesting mathematical formula, known to produce interesting terrain when interpreted in a certain way. Try to derive the formula that encodes, say, Bourne Ultimatum, and I'd be more impressed.

G

If this is so cool then why did it crash my Lap Top so comprehensivly? Yes Norton flags the files as Trojans and I made the mistake of trying to open one of them. Had to hard reset and the reboot took nearly 30 minutes with a 3 step file check so anybody using Norton just be aware of that!

G

Just an FYI, Symantec Endpoint found "Trojan Horse" in the "elevated_1280x1024.exe" file within the zip archive.

T

G

[citation][nom]lionelhutz[/nom]This stuff is cool, but impractical for the typically desired use of displaying ARBITRARY video, such as video frames for a movie. You're basically just wandering around an interesting mathematical formula, known to produce interesting terrain when interpreted in a certain way. Try to derive the formula that encodes, say, Bourne Ultimatum, and I'd be more impressed.[/citation]
I remember a demo of that type of tech a while back (15yrs?), basically encoding a scene as a complex fractal alogorithm. What was impressive was that the system would let you zoom to an arbitrary level of detail not visible in the original picture - distant trees reavealing branches / leaves etc. Not that the reavealed detail was a true representation, just another level deeper into the fractal.
I don't think the virus warnings are real - just a side effect of the compression used here - and if they are and someone has managed to pack that much content AND a trojan into a 4k file, well my PC just got 0wned by a genius, what can you do?

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
If only operating systems were coded this well. :p

Very interesting, I can see a great way to utilize tight code like this, and that's in gaming. Random 3d environments (eg diabloesque style randomization) would be well to do with this type of coding. As for the music, there is already a project floating about out there that is trying to accomplish the music reproduction.

It'd be great for digital distribution of games, or cramming games on small thumb drives.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Procedural rendering has found its way into some games... IIRC Oblivion used procedurally rendered trees. It can be useful but isn't applicable in most cases. You have to be able to mathematically define the object in order to render it from code. Things of a fractal nature (like landscapes and trees) are great candidates, and these videos are a cool way of showing what can be done with tight clean code.

xaira

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
win 7 keeps telling me app has stopped working, might be nod 64s handywork, but, do i see floppys makin a comeback, cheap hd storage media for sale.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I have Norton 360 v3 (which IS awesome BTW) and it sees no viruses. I can't, however, open the 1920x1080 file in Win 7 64-bit. Anyone else running Win 7 64?

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
On 7 I can't even run the program.. It starts but ends without a result shown here. 7 and Avast (avast doesn't flag a thing).

Status
Not open for further replies.