Amazon CEO Confirms Kindle Fire's $199 Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Ok now... Go Amazon. With HP's little stunt, Amazon saw the writing on the wall, and actually acted upon it...

$200 is a reasonable, acceptable price point for a device like this. It isn't fully featured (no camera), but it's inclusion of the Amazon ecosystem makes this device intriguing.

This of this as Amazon's iPhone, where the Kindle was Amazon's iPod...

Still want to wait a generation, personally, but this is a phenomenal development.

Next generation will likely have 3G/4G connectivity, a camera and a mic. They don't need this stuff yet, but they can add it gradually, much like how Apple does business...

And an 80 dollar e-reader is far more in-line with reasonable pricing. Still too much for me, but now it is in 'gift' territory, and it now becomes economical for students, vs real books.

gnarxy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
It says it doesn't have cellular service? Sorry I never owned/played with an iPad... to get the internet on those that is not a wi-fi signal you need to have a cellular plan and pay monthly? (no thanks!) Kindle sounds better b/c you buy it and have it, don't have a monthly bill.

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
I wonder if they are thinking about almost giving away the readers even if it may be for a small loss and make up the money on content.

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
You just hot-spot it behind your phone when away from WIFI, that way you only have a smaller tether bill rather than a whole device plan.(or use your existing hotspot, or free where possible) in keeping with the whole budget concious strategy in my opinion. also, you already have a camera on the phone so why do you need another? how many camera do we really need?

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]gnarxy[/nom]It says it doesn't have cellular service? Sorry I never owned/played with an iPad... to get the internet on those that is not a wi-fi signal you need to have a cellular plan and pay monthly? (no thanks!) Kindle sounds better b/c you buy it and have it, don't have a monthly bill.[/citation]
No. All iPads have WiFi. Some iPads ALSO have 3G connectivity for mobile computing/downloading. No Kindle Fires will have 3G, yet, as iPad information indicated that the majority of tablet use for consumers, stayed within the WiFi signal of their own homes/places of work, and therefore did not need 3G. That isn't to say that there isn't a market for this. Amazon's traditional Kindle has a 3G option. I have no doubt the Fire will in a later version.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]randomstar[/nom]You just hot-spot it behind your phone when away from WIFI, that way you only have a smaller tether bill rather than a whole device plan.(or use your existing hotspot, or free where possible) in keeping with the whole budget concious strategy in my opinion. also, you already have a camera on the phone so why do you need another? how many camera do we really need?[/citation]
Heresy! You are describing a BlackBerry Playbook type lack-of functionality... /sarcasm

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
At that price sounds like a real winner. The iPad is really stripped down compared to other tablets and still sells at a much higher price that is higher than most laptops. As long as the display quality is average or only slightly below average and their aren't a bunch of journalist trying to compare it directly to the iPad and other tablets that cost way more. Hopefully Amazon can avoid too many unrealistic comparisons and market it for the niche it really fits as the first universal commodity tablet.

fyend

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
I wonder how locked down it'll be. i.e. will you have to root it so that you can get your gmail, etc. Betting there's no way in hell they'll let you install the netflix .apk without a root. I think I'd rather wait for the $199 Lenovo that isn't locked down.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
[citation][nom]tntom[/nom]At that price sounds like a real winner. The iPad is really stripped down compared to other tablets and still sells at a much higher price that is higher than most laptops.[/citation]
Stripped down? For the price iPad2 still one of the best performer (look at benchmark). Has two cameras, mic, everything. The only thing it is missing are those USB and card readers, which realistically not that important for majority of users. And for the price it is still one of the best performance/functionality/price ratios, despite of being nearly one year old (this is big time on mobile market)

trevorvdw

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
[citation][nom]fyend[/nom]I wonder how locked down it'll be. i.e. will you have to root it so that you can get your gmail, etc. Betting there's no way in hell they'll let you install the netflix .apk without a root. I think I'd rather wait for the $199 Lenovo that isn't locked down.[/citation]

Exactly. The $199 Lenovo A1 is out next month (A month before the Fire shows its face) and has more features (2 cameras for starters). Just load up the Amazon app store and Kindle app and you're way ahead of this thing for the same price and you're not locked down. You'd have to be an idiot to buy this.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]trevorvdw[/nom]Exactly. The $199 Lenovo A1 is out next month (A month before the Fire shows its face) and has more features (2 cameras for starters). Just load up the Amazon app store and Kindle app and you're way ahead of this thing for the same price and you're not locked down. You'd have to be an idiot to buy this.[/citation]
Depends if some of the content is Kindle exclusive or not, if Apple can railroad you into iTunes then why not Amazon?

bender3000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Still want to wait a generation, personally, but this is a phenomenal development. Next generation will likely have 3G/4G connectivity, a camera and a mic.[/citation]

I totally agree. I am going to wait a another generation, but personally I don't need a camera or a mic. - A "phenomenal development" nonetheless!

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
[citation][nom]trevorvdw[/nom]Exactly. The $199 Lenovo A1 is out next month (A month before the Fire shows its face) and has more features (2 cameras for starters). Just load up the Amazon app store and Kindle app and you're way ahead of this thing for the same price and you're not locked down. You'd have to be an idiot to buy this.[/citation]

Well the Kindle Fire does have a dual core processor though, opposed to Lenovo's single core.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
basically, people are going to buy the Kindle Fire for it's Amazon integration. People who don't care about that are probably better off getting the standard Android tablet. but it's good this product is coming out. It's going to force all other competitors to compete...unless they pull an Apple and start going sue crazy.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Sounds like a nice tablet at the correct Price point. I hope it is a quality product and they sell many of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.