Amazon Details New $190 4GB Xbox 360 Slim

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
The bump to a 4GB NAND Flash is a nice change over the current 512MB arcade unit. My sister may be finally tempted to move from her Falcon arcade unit (has RRoDed twice yet came back to life both times).

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Several months ago I borrowed my friends Xbox 360 and accidentally broke it. (It fell off the desk and landed on its AV jack) Anyway, I just bought him the $149 arcade and a used copy of Halo 3. When I finally got to play it, I was astonished at how much fun I had once we got 4 people playing split screen slayer on this $200 investment.

I am a hardcore PC gamer, I don't want to think about how much money I've spent between Steam and hardware upgrades. But I went into this with an open mind and once I got over the fact that CONTROLLERS SUCK, I had a lot of fun. I will very possibly be buying a slim Xbox 360.

PS: Consoles are holding back PC gaming, and Kinect is really lame.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
How does the Arcade work? Every game you play has to be on disc right? You couldn't possibly download a game, even on the new 4GBs version? Still, since consoles had no internal storage for so long, even just being able to store save games on the console is an improvement (assuming you have the option to move them if necessary).

But only 4GB? 8GB of flash (SD cards and thumb drives) are reaching the $15-$20 price point at the retail level. You can't tell me Microsoft couldn't slap in 16GB or 32GB and still make the $200 price point. I think this is a minor concession, if any. The probably just don't want to upset the original Xbox 360 owners who paid a premium for the original 20GB HDD version.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
hellwig 07/15/2010 1:01 AM
Hide
Insert quote. Report -0+

How does the Arcade work? Every game you play has to be on disc right? You couldn't possibly download a game, even on the new 4GBs version? Still, since consoles had no internal storage for so long, even just being able to store save games on the console is an improvement (assuming you have the option to move them if necessary).

But only 4GB? 8GB of flash (SD cards and thumb drives) are reaching the $15-$20 price point at the retail level. You can't tell me Microsoft couldn't slap in 16GB or 32GB and still make the $200 price point. I think this is a minor concession, if any. The probably just don't want to upset the original Xbox 360 owners who paid a premium for the original 20GB HDD version.
----------------------------
i believe one can use up to 16GB thumb drive which are 10$~. great deal especially with the lower manufacturing process, smaller power supply and less heat. my entertainment center won't feel like a fireplace now.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
No, it's just meant to allow games to be played. The original arcades had no kind of storage space at all and you had to buy the memory cards to save. Any other kind of use or if you just wanted more you had to buy a hard drive.

Now, you can just get a random USB drive (ones that don't suck at least) or a hard drive. Or with 4 gigs that would already be plenty for some. The original memory cards weren't even a MB.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I've never understood the logic of the arcade versions. The new 4GB version may be the exception to this and likely is but I would assume with the current models that even a casual gamer would likely run out of memory. This would then force said gamer into buying heavily overpriced accessories to remedy the problem like the external hard-drives for the 360. Which may have very well made the pro version the cheaper and more logical purchase.

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Cant believe they are still milking this outdated garbage. PC gaming or nothing![/citation]

To be honest, if you have an Xbox I don't mind. Most of the enjoyment I get out of having a custom PC that is pretty damn good is simply the fact that my computer rips the crap out of just about any other PC on the market.

Where I play video games makes no difference. And in a way, you are really saving a lot of money on console. Think about it, the graphics aren't that different. Although PCs have a lot more potential that is being held back.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
wondering if this would be a good choice for a PC gamer who still wants to play the console games that never get ported.

i was thinking about getting the new slim, but decided against it due to the cost. This seems like a great idea, but would 4gb be ebough for game updates and the like so you could still use xbox live for online gaming (the new halo and GoW games interest me).

it would suck to buy this, only to discover i need to buy the HDD addon. but if 4gb would still allow me to play online and download the occasional Live game i would be set. assuming you can use external drives to backup games aswell as save files.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Cant believe they are still milking this outdated garbage. PC gaming or nothing![/citation]Your post would normally be a normal "elitist prick" post, except it's a known fact your head is buried deep in Sony's rear. So instead, it's a hilarious and ironic post!

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]welshmousepk[/nom]This seems like a great idea, but would 4gb be ebough for game updates and the like so you could still use xbox live for online gaming (the new halo and GoW games interest me).[/citation]4GB is plenty for game saves, game patches, even some XBLA games. You need more space if you're downloading full games, videos, etc. Even then, you still won't *necessarily* need a HDD. You can attach up to 2x 16GB USB sticks for additional storage.

For what you're talking about using it for, you wouldn't need a HDD.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
who is going to buy a 50$ cheaper console with 246 less HDD space? I don't even download from Xbox live movies or games, but I install all my games to hdd because it makes it Way more silent, and I only have about 20 Gig left from 120.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
In this day and age 4gigs is nothing. It costs lest than $10 for a USB 4 gig drive. They should have added at least 40 to 80gigs, it doesn't cost that much!

IFLATLINEI

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]I think the idea is that you can just pop a flash drive that you already own into it and it will do the same thing.MS have now done 2 things, a box with 250Gb storage and another box with a minimum 4Gb just to get you started.For everything else in between there are flash drives and from what I understand you can use as many differant flash drives as you want, so theoretically you could grab a crappy old 256Mb flash drive you have in the bottom of a drawer and not used for a couple of years and suddenly it is resurrected as a "Gears Of War Save Game Drive" that now dinosaur-aged 128Mb flash drive suddenly becomes your "Halo Save Game Drive".Hell, if you really wanted to you could archive all your stuff to a 2TB HDD on your PC and only transfer it to the Xbox on the flash drive when you actually want to use it.[/citation]

You make a good point but the real point is why should you have to? Storage isnt that expensive.

luke904

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Cant believe they are still milking this outdated garbage. PC gaming or nothing![/citation]

pc gaming fanboys forget one of the biggest advantages of console games

when you have a set system that your programming for.. it has to work for that system

here is a link to the xbox 360's gpu specs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenos_(graphics_chip)

compare it to any modern pc...

the xbox 360 is playing games at nearly the same quality as pc's with WAY less powerful hardware

programmers are forced to optimized there code to get competitive graphics and good performance

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
:( No mention on Wifi included...

4GB is enough for the profile and some save games but will run out quickly for any DLC. Now I know the first counter argument will be DLC costs but many new games are coming with free DLC at launch and later to value add the new over used sale of a game.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
sounds cool but the $299 console is where it is at. 4GB will probably just store the kernel and maybe a few save games if we are lucky. Would be better if it was 190 with a 60GB hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.