Amazon Launches Kindle App for Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Well this sucks we now have "apps" instead of programs for computers. Another words bloated software which looks shiney with little functionality.

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
[citation][nom]assasin32[/nom]Well this sucks we now have "apps" instead of programs for computers. Another words bloated software which looks shiney with little functionality.[/citation]

You can still install programs, apps have not and are not replacing programs. I have used the default apps that come with win8 and they are quite functional and aren't all that flashy.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
That's good news. I like being able to access my Kindle library on all my devices... that's one of the great things about Amazon. Of course I do most of my reading on a Kindle e-reader because I love the e-ink display. But it's nice to be able to do a little reading here and there during downtime when I don't have my Kindle with me. It's also great for searching for a particular thing in your library to show someone.[citation][nom]assasin32[/nom]Well this sucks we now have "apps" instead of programs for computers. Another words bloated software which looks shiney with little functionality.[/citation]Err, other than the name not much has changed. They're still programs, and they're just as lean or bloated as their "non-app" version would be. I preferred the broader term "software", myself. But application being shortened to just "App" is not the end of the world. Although "Apps" plural actually sounds kind of warez-y to me.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]assasin32[/nom]Well this sucks we now have "apps" instead of programs for computers. Another words bloated software which looks shiney with little functionality.[/citation]

Take a chill pill. It's just a name

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010

We always had "apps". Even though before it was the term for applications, now it refers to programs specifically written for touch. Apps always existed still.

hydac7

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

Absolutely , totally agreed :| apps are way too shiny and not that smarty ..

safcmanfr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008

You can get the standard program if you want (on Win 8 pro)... The "app" is only a necessity for Windows 8 RT.

Personally I quite like the idea of having individual books pinned to the "start menu" (metro menu) - especially reference books which I regularly switch between.

tser

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Robmif, I hope you have enough stuff to burn , cause I think in the years to come a lot of news will be on the air regarding windows 8! And you know what.. it actually works pretty well.. just remember how to press ctrl+esc! Finding things by typing them and pinging them to the taskbar never was easier :) Upgraded last weekend, and still happy!

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]the1kingbob[/nom]You can still install programs, apps have not and are not replacing programs. I have used the default apps that come with win8 and they are quite functional and aren't all that flashy.[/citation]
An App is a Program....it is just a hipster's naming convention.

cephas1982

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
I rented a book from amazon for class and it only works with the kindle pc application. The windows 8/android apps are not compatible.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]cephas1982[/nom]I rented a book from amazon for class and it only works with the kindle pc application. The windows 8/android apps are not compatible.[/citation]So.... get the Kindle PC software? Win8 still runs anything that runs on Win7. :/
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]BTW, i wonder what this means for Microsoft's plans with Barnes & Noble...[/citation]Uh... nothing? Amazon made this app, not MS. MS likes it because it have the potential to bring in customers already using Amazon software on other platforms, including Kindle's own Fire. But it doesn't mean MS is changing their plans to work with B&N for various things.

Status
Not open for further replies.