Amazon Prime Now Offers Book-lending for Kindle

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
just looked up prime.

book borrowing, on damand, and free 2 day shipping....

can someone tell me what the on demand means, do i have to buy the movie, or is it like netflix?

G

Its like Netflix. Calling it a library seems pretty stupid too since they are charging you for it. Its just ebooks on a paid subscription like video with Netflix and Music with Zune.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]just looked up prime.book borrowing, on damand, and free 2 day shipping....can someone tell me what the on demand means, do i have to buy the movie, or is it like netflix?[/citation]

Amazon Instant Video has hundreds of thousands of titles, but only a fraction of those are available for free streaming to Prime users. For example, I could stream the entire series of Lost for free now, but if I wanted to stream House, I would still have to buy it at the normal price of $1.99/episode or whatever their season price is. Think of it as a perk; it's cheaper than a year of netflix but you don't get the same selection either. I can personally justify having Amazon prime just for the shipping benefit (not to mention the fact that I'm a student so I get half off my membership), as I don't like waiting a week for items to arrive, and I order all of my holiday and birthday gifts from Amazon already.

However, this feature does not interest me as I have all the books I want at my local library for free, and I can't justify spending $80 on an ad-supported Kindle when my phone can use the Kindle Store if I had ever wanted to buy a book for electronic viewing. It does sound like an excellent incentive for those who read a lot of books or have trouble deciding whether or not to buy a book, now they can borrow them effortlessly.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Freakin' disgusting! I hate Amazon; they perverted idea of an e-book reader, which was meant to make books FREE. Ah who cares, I'm not buying any from them, so let them rip off the suckers...

G

you had me until you said kindle devices only. nothx. i'll stick with my nook and motorola xoom where i can have both apps.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Freakin' disgusting! I hate Amazon; they perverted idea of an e-book reader, which was meant to make books FREE. Ah who cares, I'm not buying any from them, so let them rip off the suckers...[/citation]

Yes, because writers don't need to make a living, they are just going to be homeless bums instead.

public domain books ARE free: http://www.gutenberg.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.