Solved! Amazon Prime Video App Is Different on TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 3, 2018
The Amazon app on my Roku no longer displays the same as it does on my computer. Here's my setup:
Roku 3, wired connection to internet router--> into Samsung TV via HDMI cable

--the Roku works fine, but the Amazon app no longer displays my channels (Acorn, Britbox, PBS Masterpiece, etc), or my watchlist. These all work fine on the computers here.

--if I log into Amazon Prime with my computer or Fire Tablet, it displays everything and works fine
--this has started in the last few weeks
--I have deregistered, reregistered the device several times on Amazon
--I have deleted, reinstalled the Amazon app on my Roku several times
--I have updated Roku software several times
--I have done a hard reboot on both the Roku and on my router

We have had the Roku for around 3 years, and the router for 2 years, so it's not a change of hardware. The Roku is functioning okay, but the Amazon app just doesn't display correctly.

There is no mention of this problem on Roku's site, nor on Amazon's, so I'm casting about, trying to see if any others might have this problem.

To sum up: Amazon works fine on 2 computers and on Fire Tablet, but is missing key components on the Roku app. Any ideas? Thanks very much.

--john

Solution
at 3 yrs old i am assuming you have the 1st gen Roku stick. that stick is rather weak compared to the newer gen ones. as a result the amazon app can't be as complicated and resource heavy. i also have a 1st gen roku stick along side numerous 2nd gen ones. and most apps are different and lack all the features of the apps for the newer stick.

i have not used prime video in a long time but my guess from past experience is that the app has been updated and features removed for the older stick. has happened for other apps i do use more than once.

it is time to replace the roku to a newer one and things should go back to what you expect. wish i had better advice but from my experience the older stick just can't do as much now.

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
at 3 yrs old i am assuming you have the 1st gen Roku stick. that stick is rather weak compared to the newer gen ones. as a result the amazon app can't be as complicated and resource heavy. i also have a 1st gen roku stick along side numerous 2nd gen ones. and most apps are different and lack all the features of the apps for the newer stick.

i have not used prime video in a long time but my guess from past experience is that the app has been updated and features removed for the older stick. has happened for other apps i do use more than once.

it is time to replace the roku to a newer one and things should go back to what you expect. wish i had better advice but from my experience the older stick just can't do as much now.

Solution
Nov 3, 2018
Hi, Math Geek,
Thanks for the suggestions. It's not a stick, but is a Roku 3 box. It is updated with the current software version. But I'm guessing you might be correct about needing to buy a new box. Interesting that I see no mention of this on Roku's site, or in other forums, but maybe it's just a new thing. I'll check into a new Roku. Thanks.
best, --je

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
i love my rokus :D

just what i've noticed moving from 1st gen to newer ones. got the newer ones when got directv now. no app on 1st gen for it at all so had to upgrade. the boxes are nice as well i just never had a need for one when the sticks do what i need. the boxes are more powerful so no idea if my app idea is vaild for them but seems likely knowing they also updated the boxes for 2nd gen

Status
Not open for further replies.