Amazon prime video streaming and HDCP

RAHIT

Estimable
Jul 19, 2014
I have a HP Pavilion 15 n003tx laptop... when I stream TV series on amazon prime I get HD quality videos... But when I stream movies on amazon prime they stream at SD quality... The site says "Your video will play in standard definition because your computer hardware, HDMI cables, and display must all meet content protection(HDCP) requirements for HD video."
I have a 8Mbps internet connection... I have also streamed on my friend's laptop(Dell) with my internet connection & movies are available for his device in HD but not on my laptop...
Is there anything I can do about this?

Solution
Evidently your laptop doesn't support HDCP copy-protection for HD movie streaming - - it doesn't affect TV series since they aren't HD copy-protected like commercial movies.

Your friend's Dell laptop supports HDCP, hence no problem when using that.

Solution: buy a laptop which supports HDCP.

derekullo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
It sounds like your tv lacks HDCP for playing the high definition video through prime for movies, although it is strange it doesn't do the check for TV series.

The SD content lacks the check for HDCP therefore it plays correctly.

There is no way to get HDCP on your tv without buying a new TV.

I know with nvidia if you go into the control panel they have an option saying that you are compliant or not

Bad
http://3dalchemist.com/images/lcds/hannspree_nviidia%20No-HDCP_1.jpg

Good
http://en.community.dell.com/resized-image/__size/550x0/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3529/1018.HDCP-Repeater-Error.JPG

Check for a setting like that in your graphics card properties of which ever graphics card you are using.

Sorry to be the potential bearer of bad news.

Evidently your laptop doesn't support HDCP copy-protection for HD movie streaming - - it doesn't affect TV series since they aren't HD copy-protected like commercial movies.

Your friend's Dell laptop supports HDCP, hence no problem when using that.

Solution: buy a laptop which supports HDCP.

Solution