Amazon Remotely Deleting Books From Kindle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
What on earth are they thinking?

There's usually a "good" reason for this, and if there isn't, someone start the Anti-Amazon petition.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Sorry for the double-post, but after reading the article, owners were refunded. The publisher pulled the book, not Amazon. So not quite so creepy.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
wow, i almost bought one of those things, came real close, didn't because unlike mp3 you really don't own the books you get and now i see just how much you don't really own the books, not only can't you sell them later on, like you can with regular books, or give them away, like you can with other books, but they can take them away from you at anytime they and the copyright owners are fighting with each othr.

yeap, even after people pay for them. wow, and they give lawyers a bad name, sounds like a class action lawsuit is what is needed.

customer is poorly represented in this new electronic world...

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
This is the proof that no one really cares about things you BUY!! If you bought the ebook than you can still have it. Oh, I don't want anyone to have my printed book, let's call the police and search every single house for a copy of the book and burn it (a little bit nazi for you? ;) ) So, the big brother is taking a different approach. Instead of the governments it's companies.

Congratulations America. This is the so called FREEDOM..

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
WTF, I will stick with good old paper and guess what, no batteries required.
This is another reason I don't do DRM that requires a internet connection to activate the game and download games like Steam. You can argue that steam would never block a game but I bet a week ago no one would say they would books (I guess they rent/lease) deleted off their kindle.

knutjb

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
That is morally wrong, legally too, I would imagine. If they put a book up for sale electronically it should be treated just like the paper copy. I certainly have lost interest in this kind of technology regardless of how rare the occurrence.

G

I have been purchasing ebooks through EReader.com for several years now (they are part of Palm One). No activation, I have the books on several devices, and never had a problem. I cannot remember the last time I actually purchased a paper book. This is a really bad business move on Amazon's part.

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
So, basically, this is one of those "you don't own the software, you only license it" deals, except it isn't software, it's a book. Well, at least I can rest in peace knowing Amazon or a book publisher won't walk in my house and STEAL my books from my shelf. In my eyes this is stealing, even if their is a refund. How is this different from the publisher asking for its book back from your shelf with a full refund. This makes the Kindle that much more unappealing.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
This is WHY:
- Digital Downloads of movies are NOT secure. Why BluRay or other solid-state future storage for movies will still be better.

- Windows XP and newer MS-OS kind of suck. The EULA states that MS has the rights to: modify or delete ANYTHING on YOUR computer. Remember, Windows caches and stores all kinds of personal information... that other OSs don't seem to "need" to do.

- This is not good for Kindle, Amazon. Another idiot media company, not understanding the future. Lets see... anyone can lend a friend a book or DVD, etc. I just lent a work-buddy my box-set of Fire Fly (which I've done 6 times before), he'll be buying his OWN box set now.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I would never buy kindle. I rarely buy books at all, even though I read a lot. There's a thing called a library where I can go to borrow a book free of charge, and then take it back once I'm done. It's really great. I highly suggest them for people who read a lot.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
The article linked to has an addition:
"EDITOR’S NOTE | 8:41 p.m. The Times published an article explaining that the Orwell books were unauthorized editions that Amazon removed from its Kindle store. However, Amazon said it would not automatically remove purchased copies of Kindle books if a similar situation arose in the future."
So these ebook sales weren't legal in the first place, because the real rights holder apparently didn't approve. Amazon says the remote deletions were a bad idea and won't be doing that again, even if the same situation pops up.
Still, now way am I getting a Kindle now.

Status
Not open for further replies.