Amazon to Sell Kindle Fire Below Cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtopmobile

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
i am gonna be honest i prefer 10000 times buying computer parts in amazon than in newegg, i find better prices in amazon and all products sold by amazon itself has free shipping.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]sgtopmobile[/nom]i am gonna be honest i prefer 10000 times buying computer parts in amazon than in newegg, i find better prices in amazon and all products sold by amazon itself has free shipping.[/citation]
Free shipping through DHL which takes forever as is probably going to have a few bumps by the time it gets to your door.

I'll stick with NewEgg, never had anything take more than 2 days to get to my front door.

G

I am so glad we have an expert who can tell the cost without ever seeing the product or even knowing what is in it. All the info they have are a few key features.
M

species8472

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
Say what you will about the iPad or even Apple itself, the iPad is an amazing product. I would not buy it. To me, it's like an iPod Touch with more screen space and not worth the extra money.

I would not mind finding an acceptable alternative to the iPad. The nook color seems to be a competitor to the iPad at the moment and it's horrible! The touch screen is imprecise, glitchy, not very sensitive, and the operating system is slow and jerky compared to the smoothness of the the iPad's operating system. If the Kindle Fire provides a good alternative experience to the iPad and the nook, I may consider picking one up.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Poor companies always losing money. I bet they are making profit even at that price and I really don't trust these crappy analysis.
Here is my BOM: LCD - $30, CPU $20, plastic case $0.5, screws/glue $0.04, battery and other crap $49.90. R&D & transportation for 5 million units $20-50. So they better be making a profit!

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]species8472[/nom]Say what you will about the iPad or even Apple itself, the iPad is an amazing product. I would not buy it. To me, it's like an iPod Touch with more screen space and not worth the extra money.I would not mind finding an acceptable alternative to the iPad. The nook color seems to be a competitor to the iPad at the moment and it's horrible! The touch screen is imprecise, glitchy, not very sensitive, and the operating system is slow and jerky compared to the smoothness of the the iPad's operating system. If the Kindle Fire provides a good alternative experience to the iPad and the nook, I may consider picking one up.[/citation]

What made iPhone and then all iOS so popular was the great balance of hardware/software (OS), good development tools for third party apps, the app store/the whole content delivery infrastructure. And they were first to deliver it. This made it possible for them to charge so much too.
I'm not an iPhone fan and don't even need one. But it is a great all around product. It just delivers, although I think it has lots of rough edges but in comparison the competition is much worse.

I'd rather buy an android tablet but every time I've tried an android tablet and then when I look at an iPad. I cannot justify the buy at that price point!!! These things are just a toy and not very useful tools. They should cost much less.

flybri

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Thank god one company finally woke up. I've been saying this for god knows how long -- To compte with Apple and have a chance at taking away any significant marketshare, you have to compete with Apple on cost. To do this requires that you start selling your hardware at a loss in the beginning...that's the only way. Once you build up enough market share, in the future you will be able to sell them at a profit. That's how it is. I can't believe how dumb all these other companies are. The head of the tablet division of a company needs to go to the CEO and say "To compete with Apple we have to sell our first tablet(s) at a loss to gain market share and compete with Apple. If you aren't comfortable with this, then we shouldn't be making tablets that try to compete with the iPad"

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]flybri[/nom]Thank god one company finally woke up. I've been saying this for god knows how long -- To compte with Apple and have a chance at taking away any significant marketshare, you have to compete with Apple on cost. To do this requires that you start selling your hardware at a loss in the beginning...that's the only way. Once you build up enough market share, in the future you will be able to sell them at a profit. That's how it is. I can't believe how dumb all these other companies are. The head of the tablet division of a company needs to go to the CEO and say "To compete with Apple we have to sell our first tablet(s) at a loss to gain market share and compete with Apple. If you aren't comfortable with this, then we shouldn't be making tablets that try to compete with the iPad"[/citation]

Wish I could +1 this post 20 times. I've been saying the exact same thing. People are getting paid millions, and just "don't get it". You and I need to startup a couple tech companies and school these idiot CEOs. Yes, Meg Whitman, I mean you.

G

Below cost my butt... You mean below RRP. They still make money, it just registers as a loss against the RRP.

beachbod

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
If you live in Alaska or Hawaii then Amazon > Newegg.

How does it cost Newegg $16.38 to ship Battlefield 3 to Alaska when Amazon can do it for free?

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]Free shipping through DHL which takes forever as is probably going to have a few bumps by the time it gets to your door.I'll stick with NewEgg, never had anything take more than 2 days to get to my front door.[/citation]

I'm not debating which is better, but I have never gotten anything from Amazon that was shipped by DHL, and I rarely pay for shipping on any of my orders. Arrival time varies, but is rarely more than about a week, and that is when the order is shipped ground across country.

Status
Not open for further replies.