amd apu and gpu issue

WD-17

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017
i have an issue
my laptop uses the apu and not the discrete gpu in games and im getting very low fps
here's my laptop specs:
AMD A6 7130
APU R4
GPU AMD R5 430
any suggestions how to fix it? i tried everything from updating drivers to reinstalling windows.

Solution
Well, if only the integrated Radeon R4 graphics core is giving you a temp reading then that is still fine for testing.

1. Take note of the R4's temp when you are not really doing anything with the laptop.
2. Start playing a game for a while, then check the temp again. If it more or less stays the same, then that means the dedicate R5 M430 is being used.
3. If the temp of the R4 graphics core increases, then that mean the integrated graphics core is being used.

Check to make sure that the laptop is using the dedicated GPU by doing the following:

1. Right click the desktop and click AMD Radeon Settings.
2. At the top row click on System, then click on Switchable Graphics.
3. You probably have to click on "Running Applications" and...

TJ Hooker

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014
What has led you to conclude that it isn't using the discrete graphics? The R5 430 is a very weak GPU, I wouldn't expect to get great performance even if you are using your discrete gpu.

WD-17

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017

well im concluding that it doesn't work because its even shows that the discrete R5 430 isn't even showing in the task menu or in game benchmark.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from WD-17 : "Amd APU and GPU issue"

what gpu?
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-IdeaPad-110-15ACL-A8-7410-HD-Laptop-Review.210092.0.html

WD-17

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017

i have the amd A6 7130 with R4 apu and a R5 430 gpu here is the full model name LENOVO IdeaPad 110-15ACL, 80TJ003HRK

The AMD R5 M430 is a pretty weak dedicated GPU. According to the following link in the center column which lists many different mobile GPUs, the Radeon R5 M430 is basically similar to the performance of the Intel HD 520 integrated graphics core. It is at the bottom of GPUs listed as "Class 3". It also has game benchmarks for the GPU; just be aware the laptop used to test games has a Core i5-7200u CPU which has much better processor performance than the A6-7130.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R5-M430.160119.0.html

The link below has game performance benchmarks for the Radeon R5 (Beema) which is the A6-7130's integrated graphics core.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R5-Beema.122502.0.html

You can use a program like Speccy to indirectly determine which GPU is being use; dedicated or integrated. The Summary tab and the Graphics tab both measure the temperature of the dedicated GPU, there will be no temp for the integrated GPU because it is in the AMD APU. Simply turn on the laptop and let it run for a while, but don't play any games. This is basically to determine what the Radeon R5 M430 temperature is before playing games. Then start playing a game for a while and check the temp in Speccy. If the temp of the Radeon R5 M430 increases at lot then the laptop is using it to play games. If the M430's temp does not increase or only slightly increases by something like 2c, then the integrated GPU is being used.

https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

WD-17

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017

i dont know why but its showing them both but only the temperature of the APU which is the R4

It is showing both because it detects the integrated and dedicated graphics which is normal.

To exclude info that does not matter simply click on Graphics in the left menu. For my laptop it shows both the Intel HD 530 and nVidia GTX 960m. There is only a temperature stat for the GTX 960m.

WD-17

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017

just for making sure i launched gta v on my laptop that has the R4 APU and the R5 430 GPU in the game settings it shows that the game uses R4 that has 512mb of memory, so now i need to know how to switch R5 430 to be the primary graphics card

Well, if only the integrated Radeon R4 graphics core is giving you a temp reading then that is still fine for testing.

1. Take note of the R4's temp when you are not really doing anything with the laptop.
2. Start playing a game for a while, then check the temp again. If it more or less stays the same, then that means the dedicate R5 M430 is being used.
3. If the temp of the R4 graphics core increases, then that mean the integrated graphics core is being used.

Check to make sure that the laptop is using the dedicated GPU by doing the following:

1. Right click the desktop and click AMD Radeon Settings.
2. At the top row click on System, then click on Switchable Graphics.
3. You probably have to click on "Running Applications" and select "Installed Profiled Applications".
4. Your game should be list there. "High Performance" will mean the dedicated GPU will be used. "Power Saving" means the integrated GPU will be used.
5. If the game is not listed, the click on "Browse" to find the game".

Solution