AMD CPU missing lock/unlock lever mechanism (pics included)

holyness

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
I found out my CPU slot(socket 939) is missing the mechanism that locks in the CPU, or unlocks it. My old CPU is stuck in the slot and I am unable to replace it. I have taken some pictures of it, in hopes that somebody might know what I can do to fix it and replace my CPU without replacing the mobo. I have checked underneath the heatsink fan, and it is not on it either. A few years ago, though, my computer broke and we had to have the motherboard replaced, so that piece might have been lost in translation.

Here are the pictures of my CPU:
DSCN0559.jpg

DSCN0558.jpg

If you do not see what is missing, it is the piece that is supposed to cover the metal bar and push the CPU up. I have checked the manual, and it even shows how the bar is supposed to be covered to allow the mechanism to work.

Does anyone know what I can do without replacing my mobo?

Solution
The Phenom II X4's use dual channel memory.You will want a 4 X 1 GB set,2 X 2GB set,4 X 2GB set or a 2 X 4 GB set etc so on and so on.DDR 2 if you're using an AM2+ board or DDR3 if your using a AM3 motherboard.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
That arm actually cams to allow the socket to unlock. The socket is actually two pieces that slide laterally. The base contains angular contacts, and the upper is what slides the CPU over and places it's pins in contact with the socket's contacts. It doesn't "pop" the CPU up, but actually slides it a fraction of an inch sideways and disengages it from the socket's contacts. I don't know how you could have lost that piece and not known it. You should be able to get the CPU out, but getting another one in will be virtually impossible. You could probably get it out by working around the perimeter with a plastic wedge tool (the kind you use to open newer electronics, like phones, etc) but no promises. You would need a donor board to get the upper plastic from, but this brings up another question..... Why bother with a Socket 939 board? Just get a new CPU and board. That will give you room to expand in the future if you just get an AM2+ / AM3 board and chip.

holyness

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
I don't have the money to deal with having to get new ram, a new CPU and a new motherboard. I also am sure would screw up the motherboard replacement, as I have failed installing a new PSU in correctly, which is supposed to be easy...
We are going to pay for a computer expert to come over and fix it for $80 unless I can figure it out...

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Well, getting that chip out, like i said, will be tough without a working lever. And even if you do get it out, without the cam action to lock the new chip in, you'll be screwed. In my professional opinion, you'd be best off leaving it as it is if it's still working. If not, then you can get a really cheap board these days and a super cheap chip that would run circles around what you have probably. And with RAM being cheap now, you can get a couple gigs for like $25 (assuming DDR2-800) if you go with a low to mid range motherboard and CPU.

apache_lives

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
eeewww thats an MSI motherboard isnt it? RUBBISH! and that bottom left cap kinda looks blown too maybe (bad photo?)

only way - carefully knife it out, or have enough suction from the hsf/thermal paste to draw the cpu out?

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

There is alternative possibility that may work too especially if the motherboard uses a nForce 4 type chipset.
Basically if one knows the chipset used,Integrated Graphics chip used on board (or discrete card if not) and exact network chip, one can sometimes find an alternative replacement motherboard (using the exact same chipset,IGP and netwrok chip) likely a AM3 type socket one (for about $40-$50) and new AM3 AM3 Athlon II (either X2,3 or 4) CPU with say $30 of DDR3 memory and it will work with the old hard drive with Windows XP (and I think Vista and 7) on it sometimes without have to reactivate Windows again.

I had a 2006 era emachines T6420 that was given to me in 2007 die on me (took out the OEM MSI MS 7207 motherboard too) in 2009 due to power supply failure (from what I've read a common occurance with those power supplies).I wish I would have known about those unreliable Bestec Power Supplies earlier as I could have replaced the power supply with a much more reliable model before it died and took out the mobo with it.

I found an alternative later socket AM2+ motherboard for $40,used a spare Athlon II X2 240 CPU and DDR2 RAM,got a newer power supply and it worked with the older hard drive with XP Pro on it.I did have to reactivate Windows though but it was a success.The failure actually gave me the opportunity to upgrade to a more powerful but inexpensive dual core CPU although I could have used more powerful CPU's than even that.

I also found out that there is a similar AM3 type motherboard that would work as an alternative replacement motherboard for the OEM MSI MS 7207 motherboard.It also is only $40.The AM2+ board that I got was perhaps the last one over at newegg and since is now a deactivated product there (however today I did see a $27 Open Box (RMA'd) one

A replacement Socket OEM MSI MS 7207 motherboard sells for over $100 or so, so for about the same price I could get a much newer type socket AM3 motherboard,a budget Athlon II X2 CPU (which was several times more powerful than the original Athlon 64 3400+ CPU) and some DDR3 memory.

Anyway to the original poster what is the exact model of your MSI motherboard (or computer make,model) as perhaps an alternative replacement motherboard could be found (newer socket type that couldn't reuse your CPU or DDR memory but might be cheaper overall than getting a direct replacement motherboard).

holyness

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
Sorry it took a while, had to deal with my computer becoming irrepairable without a new motherboard and a bad virus on another computer but my motherboard is a K8 Neo4-F.

We talked with a professional, who helped us attempt to install the CPU, and he noticed the blown cap also and explained it to us. He also said he will install a new motherboard and cpu for us, along with getting us Windows 7.

My question is now could I install a nice new motherboard using a compatible processor(preferably Phenom II x4) and 6 GB triple channel ddr3 ram for under $250 from Frys, or how much would it cost for all of that do you think?

Thanks everyone for all your help.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
The Phenom II X4's use dual channel memory.You will want a 4 X 1 GB set,2 X 2GB set,4 X 2GB set or a 2 X 4 GB set etc so on and so on.DDR 2 if you're using an AM2+ board or DDR3 if your using a AM3 motherboard.

Solution