AMD Quad-Core A8 or Intel i3. Which is better ?

Solution
the a8 will be slightly slower in everyday tasks but the i3 will be unable to game at all, while the a8 will probably be abletto play dota, cod and wow, but only at minimum settings at 720p probably, and while you game you may want to use a laptop cooling pad and chage the power consumtion from power saver to performance, in windows, but the a8 should be able to play at min settings , while the i3 WILL NOT, and if youre coding for embeded then you shouldnt notice that much of a diffrence

Newbiegamer00

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013

Not for gaming.
Just for development (C, C++, Vala & Android) & normal day to day use.

Newbiegamer00

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013

Thanks for the reply.
Just in case if I intend to play, what kindof games A8 supports ? Will it support Dota 2, WoW, CoD franchise, etc ?

I have heard AMD APUs are hotter than Intel processors. How true that statement is (in Indian hot temperature location) ?

Sometimes i do casually do gaming on vacation period (end semesters). But in regular days it's constant coding, compiling, debugging for embedded devices.

I am bit money conscious. If my work is accomplished in 22K I don't want ot spend 15K for other laptop. So, I would like to know other than raw cpu performance is there any drawback of AMD A8 compared to i3 ?

Neil Dangat

Estimable
Jun 9, 2014
the a8 will be slightly slower in everyday tasks but the i3 will be unable to game at all, while the a8 will probably be abletto play dota, cod and wow, but only at minimum settings at 720p probably, and while you game you may want to use a laptop cooling pad and chage the power consumtion from power saver to performance, in windows, but the a8 should be able to play at min settings , while the i3 WILL NOT, and if youre coding for embeded then you shouldnt notice that much of a diffrence

Solution

Newbiegamer00

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013

Thanks a lot, man. Going for A8.

eni124

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014

i got an i3, but my friend got an a8. my pc is better for gaming and i can play most games at some good resolution, better than my friend can.

You are correct that the A8-6410 APU's processing power is less than the Core i3. However, the Radeon R5 integrated graphics core is less powerful than the Intel HD 4400.

The link below provides some benchmarks for the Radeon R5 and compares it to various GPUs including the Intel HD 4400. There are a little over 50 games benchmarked, and the Radeon R5 only performs better in 10 of those games which are listed below.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R5-Beema.122502.0.html

Civilization: Beyond Earth
Risen 3: Titan Lords
Saints Row 4
The Bureau: X-Com Declassified
Splinter Cell Blacklist
Grid 2
Bioshock Infinite
Call of Duty: Black OPs 2
Sleeping Dogs
Battlefield 3

faisalaik

Estimable
Dec 29, 2014
amd A8 is better then i3 in almost every respect plus the fact that it comes cheaper then i3 by about 3-4 thousand (indian rupees), the onlydrawback is that battery life is a little lesser then i3

Antonio Di Maggio

Estimable
Dec 31, 2014
Hi Guys, first sorry for my english. I know that the Intel is the better and i have saw on Internet the information of 2 laptop, i found the Cpu frequency from a8 and i3 and there are some different. The Cpu is so important for me. The Intel I3 goes from 2.5 / 3.4 Ghz , while i found one type of processor from Amd Quad Core and is 1.8 /2.6 Ghz That's all Cya

f688xt6

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
I actually bought both versions in the HP line from Costco. The A8 was painfully slow, BSOD' in windows updates, and couldn't game at all. Having purchased it for just general use, I expected it to not game at all, but to take 3 minutes to start windows 7 was downright unacceptable. So, I returned it and purchased the one with the i3-4010U. It's way faster, doesn't have any issues, and while it was 100 bucks more for it, the value is easily made up in the touchscreen (its windows 8.1... meh) and the extra memory and speed. Just on a whim I downloaded Battlefield 4, which it did actually play with Intel HD4400 only, and it was playable on minimum settings. Other games I have tried include: Oblivion (playable: Medium), Minecraft (playable: High), and Firefall (playable: Medium/Low). I was shocked that the integrated graphics could even launch BF4, let alone play it.

The result is this, the i3 is better. I shouldn't have wasted my time on the A8. And I won't badmouth Intel's HD 4400 again. Stout for what it is.

Brandon Hennelly

Estimable
Feb 12, 2015

Neither are very good for gaming. I have a laptop with an A8 6410 and it is very good, although (as with the 4th generation I3's to which you refer) you cannot expect very high performance in games. Although the Intel HD 4400 and other similar on-chip graphics solutions from Intel are probably better for games etc. that may not be as well optimised for R5 graphics (an example of a well optimised game being war thunder that runs at medium settings at an average of 30-32fps on my laptop with an A8-6410). I mention this as both will be perfectly fine for what you say that you want it for so you may as well go with the one that is the most versatile (probably the Intel).

Also I should add that the actual 4th generation I3's are essentially the same as the A8's in terms of performance (according to CPU boss).

Hrithik12373

Estimable
Aug 13, 2015

I used to have a amd processor it was I think so amd radeon 3000 mobile series.I m just a kid.It melted the thermal tapes on the processor

trinium422

Estimable
Aug 27, 2014
The AMD being dramaticaly cheaper is the way I would go. Ive been building computers for 15 years an not one intel. You can get a fast AMD 8350 for under 149 and a motherboard for 129. OR if you want t go high end you could always buy there latest FX CPU that comes with a small water cooler ($300) (closed loo[ and the size of a fan so you can mount it where one of your fans go an a sabertooth ($179) motherboard by ASUS and be at the top of the heap.

trinium422

Estimable
Aug 27, 2014

xfirestormxx

Estimable
Aug 3, 2015
You guys are aware that clock speed doesn't mean everything right? And as for the cores, good luck finding applications out there that will take advantage of all 8 cores. Most games and apps don't use more than 4 or 6, let alone 8.

My HP i5 laptop (dual core, 4 threads 2.2GHz base, 2.7 turbo, 3MB cache) is almost on par in terms of performance with my desktop which runs an AMD A8-7600 quad core (dual core, 4 threads, 3GHz base, 3.6 turbo, 4MB cache).

Bhargav_5

Estimable
Jan 8, 2016
Go with i3 it is used for programming,small games,browsing e.t.c ,amd a8 is better for gaming(huge games),one draw back if you use powerfull apps continuously for 1hr it exhibits more heat.it can used for coding too,they might get damage for cause of heat.