armanition

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
(Hopefully I put this thread in the right category!)

I just recently (last Sunday as of the date of this post) purchased an HP Envy m6-1205dx, which includes the AMD A10-4600M APU (and a Radeon HD 7660G GPU). For about the same price, I could've bought the same laptop, but with an Intel CPU in it. The main reason why I didn't though was because I knew that the iGPU on AMD's APU's are definitely stronger than Intel's HD Graphics 4000 GPU. I'm fully aware that the A10, in terms of the CPU portion specifically, isn't as potent as an Intel Core i3 or i5 CPU, but the deficit between the two isn't an issue for me.

On the topic of APU's, I present this question to everyone:

Do any of you have a laptop with an A-series APU (Like an A8 or A10, without dual graphics)? And if you do, how has gaming fared for you? More intensive games like BF3 or GTA IV I'm aware will only run at low/medium settings, but more popular games such as Minecraft, LoL, and Skyrim will all run at high/ultra settings, usually at native resolution (in my case, 1366x768). 720p and 1080p video play flawlessly (most laptops these days are capable of that anyway, though I came from a netbook to this), I haven't tried 4K yet.

So again, how has gaming or media consumption on these Trinity APU's worked out for you guys?

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
I have a A6 Llano APU notebook from HP. I can play quite a few games at decient resolutions and such. I play WoW, with tons of addons mind you, on fair at 1600x900 while getting just above 30fps. I also play Topico 4 on it and I turn it up fair bit as well and it does pretty good. The thing I like about mine more than anything is I can sit there in game for like 3 hours (its a 6 cell battery) and just starting to hit low power.

Watch this video, it should make you feel a little better about your decisions :D Pay attention to 2:40 where the brick wall is... Thats where you can really start setting the two appart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9klqKPX9vo0

armanition

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

Skyrim actually runs quite well on my A10, at native resolution, I can get a mix of med/high settings (low shadows) with FXAA enabled, and I usually stay above 40fps :). If I overclock it, it'll run even better (obviously hahaha). :D

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
That video is when the chip first came out, so I assume it was using 13.1 drivers from AMD. Now you have 13.3 and the 13.5 beta's out. So performance has increased since then. That video is also at a slightly more intense part of the game.

The APU's will do nothing but get better. I was just saying for a build under $800 (this is a total build monitor+tower+keybaord and mouse and speakers+everything) you have to use a APU :D lol. And for a notebook, I just can see myself not using a APU.

Newer graphic drivers do not always means better performance for all games. Although they can help improve performance for recently released games if the current drivers are not optimized for those games. New drivers also fix some graphic issues from time to time as well as possible stability issues.

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Im pretty sure newly released drivers almost always 99% of the time improve performance for games. The only time it wouldnt is if its a much older title.