Amount of power needed for Klipsch KLF-10s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillwhop

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016
I have a pair of klf-10 speakers that inherited from my father. I do not have the receiver he used to drive these amazing speakers. I currently i have a sony str-k740p. With the str-k740p I do not even get close to the amount of loudness out of the speakers as my father would. I believe this is because the receiver only puts out 80w of power per channel.

here is the specs i found on the speakers: http://www.cnet.com/products/klipsch-legend-series-klf-10-speakers/specs/

Any help to help me understand what i need to power these speakers would be awesome! They are great speakers, i just need to know how to drive them properly. :)

Solution
What receiver did your father have?
The speakers are 8 ohms (easy to drive) and 98 db for 1 watt which is very efficient. This means that it doesn't take much power to get them pretty loud. The speakers are rated for 150w with 600 watt peak power. Your receiver is 80 watts (or less) with little peak power so if you doubled your power it would only get them 3 db louder which is not a huge difference unless you are in a very large room.
IMO it is more a matter of the quality of amplifier rather than quantity. Your Sony is a surround sound unit which is somewhat of a low end unit and won't have even decent quality amps in it. Even a low powered tube amp or quality solid state amp would sound better than the Sony. Your budget would be a...
What receiver did your father have?
The speakers are 8 ohms (easy to drive) and 98 db for 1 watt which is very efficient. This means that it doesn't take much power to get them pretty loud. The speakers are rated for 150w with 600 watt peak power. Your receiver is 80 watts (or less) with little peak power so if you doubled your power it would only get them 3 db louder which is not a huge difference unless you are in a very large room.
IMO it is more a matter of the quality of amplifier rather than quantity. Your Sony is a surround sound unit which is somewhat of a low end unit and won't have even decent quality amps in it. Even a low powered tube amp or quality solid state amp would sound better than the Sony. Your budget would be a big factor.

Solution

Dillwhop

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016

I do not know what reciever my father had. I also know he did not have his own amplifier either.

Another question would be can the gauge of wire i am using limit the amount of power getting to the speakers? I only ask that because the type of wire i am using is a lot smaller of a gauge than what my father had used.

Status
Not open for further replies.