amp to speaker issue

gediinwidnes

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
Hi Guy's, looking for advice here, I have a Mcgregor PA250 which I used to do disco's with, I have 2 speakers ( soundlab ) 150w each at 8 ohms, this system used to work great, however my amp packed in, on inspection there was 2 x 6.3 amp fuses that had blown, I was advised to replace the 2 x capacitors that were distorted, I did this and replaced the fuses, the amp now lights up and I can feel the heat from the heatsink, I assume this is working fine, the problem I have now is when I plug my speaker in to either LS outlet at the rear of the PA/Amp my speaker buzzes very loudly, I obviously have a probelm here, the question is this, because the amp has an output of 250 watt and my speaker/speakers are 150watt is this because I replaced both fuses/capacitors ? can this run from 1 fuse/capacitor ? could it be possible that only 1 fuse was being used via the CT input thus lowering the output in wattage to my speakers, this is the first time this amp has ever been opened by me, I hope I don't sound stupid here and any advice may help me thanks a lot guy's

You shouldn't have tried to repair your own amp.
You should have used a professional technician.

You CANNOT plug (the output of) an amplifier into powered speakers...you will blow the equipment up.

Seems that you have incorrectly wired the connections, and damaged the electronics.

NOW get a professional, before you damage it more. Learn the right way to do it...get your amplifiers repaired....BY A PROFESSIONAL.

STOP playing around, it's going to cost you a lot of money.

WHAT this guy did:
He plugged the SPEAKER output of a PA amp into a powered speaker.
He blew up his power amplifier. (it blew the fuses)
Then he tried to "repair" it himself...
I hope you learned a lesson from this.

Powered speaker: needs a PREAMP level input!
Not a SPEAKER level input.
Live and learn I guess.

gediinwidnes

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016

If his speakers are 8 ohms they are probably not self powered. Since he did have them working at one point the problem is not connecting an amp to powered speakers.
The fuses that were blown are not capacitors so replacing them did not repair anything. They blew due to the amp failing. You could damage your speakers if the amp is putting out DC at the speaker terminals. You will need a tech to check out the amp and let you know if cost of repair is worth doing.

gediinwidnes

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
Hi thanks for you advice, I did not repair myself I got a tecnician at work to solder in my new capacitors and fit fuses, my speakers only plug into my amp via a mono plug, the problem then is my speaker makes a very load buzzing noise, I then in plug so as not to damage my speaker, the question was more related to why did it never do this before it blew the internal fuses, which was do to the capacitors looking like they were damaged due to time and heat, when you say powered speakers do you mean 240v direct supply ? Thank you for your time

gediinwidnes

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016

gediinwidnes

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
Thank you I will get this checked out, I appreciate your time, any idea why the internal 2 X 6.3 amp would blow, could it be the CT ? , nothing looked like there was any burning and all soldered joints looked intact