An Era Ends: Nintendo Power Mag Concludes Soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I remember reading this when I was a kid. I got a free subscription when I bought my NES. This got me interested (and buying) other gaming mags once I started diversifying my gaming platforms. I would read and reread each mag cover-to-cover. Although I was too poor to have the vast collection of games that I wanted, these mags kept me informed and drooling over the latest games.

Good times. Great memories.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Never ever bought this or any other gaming magazine.
But as far as compensation to their subscribers, I guess ONE free game would do.

Better if it is a coupon so that they can get whatever game THEY want.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
[citation][nom]devotiecon[/nom]Internet killed the magazine star.[/citation]
So true. It has been at least 15 years, but I was a NinPow subscriber for a little while. I was also an EGM subscriber for much longer. They shut down a few years ago. Transferred my remaining issues to Maxim :D I use to love looking over these mags while on the "thinking" chair. Now, the internet, especially smartphones, my Kindle Fire occupy that special time.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
They should have started offering this in ebook form years ago. There have been many barnes and noble / borders have been closing, and its not because we want to save trees.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Oh man, I remember subcribing to this when I was a kid only to get a copy of Dragon Warrior for free. I barely understood english back then, but I was always eagerly waiting for the next edition to come to see if there was maps, tricks or cheats for my favorite games!

Speaking of Dragon Warrior, I thought the game was broken back then. "Mom! Mom! There are grammar mistakes in this game! There's a lot of th's where there should by y's. Thou art dead."

Good times! :)

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
It's a shame they couldn't have stuck around another year or two to see those 25th year and 300 issue anniversaries. At the same time, it's quite surprising they held out this long. With the amount of games that have been out this year even worth covering, NinPow would be releasing an informational pamphlet by this point. It was what you wanted out of a gaming mag as a child. No serious reviews, previews and histories of the game. Colorful adverts, articles and the serial comics.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I was a subscriber to Nintendo Power for a few years.
Back in the glory days (Early Super Nintendo until about mid N64 up until Final Fantasy 7 came out and I bought a Playstation.)

Somewhere along the line I realized Nintendo Power was very bias.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
Sad sad day. just another reminder of how the internet is putting millions out of work almost every day. why pay for something that you can get free ff the web?? i mean I can't blame the poeple who stoped buying the magazines, but as we hop further into this new age of computer and innterconetivity, I can't help but wonder what we have lost.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
The end of a good era indeed, I used to read it as a kid. Then again, Nintendo MEANT something back then and was a competitive gaming company. Now they are practically like a hardcore Farmville kind of company (mind you, there are a lot of addicts like this out there :) ). Every once in a while, you get the crown jewel of a Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc. to keep you content. I honestly cannot say they they have left me with any enthusiasm any longer over who they are and what they wish to sell. Perhaps the same can be said about Nintendo Power not having any exciting material to report or publish anymore? RIP and feel free to bring back the same company that brought us the NES, SNES, N64, and Gameboy (not the gimmicky versions). Or at least, back your systems up with something (much more) worthwhile to sit down and F-ing play.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Wow, those old GOTY winners remind me of the days when Nintendo was associated with loads of purely fun games. Not kiddie games, not casual games, not party games, just FUN games that lots of us looked forward to playing (those who are as old as I am). I remember sneaking (and getting caught) playing RC Pro Am and Zelda a couple of weeks before Christmas. Good times.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
The end of an era I think. And it goes to show how little Nintendo is putting out now that's truly worth playing, or reading about. Or for that matter, games made by other companies for their systems. I remember sneaking out to a friends house to play Super Mario 3, Metroid, and Zelda. Then when I finally got my own, add castlevania 3, Batman, Dragon Warrior, Bandit Kings of Ancient China, Final Fantasy. Then on the old school fat game boy, you had Zelda: Links Awakening?, more final fantasy, and a ton of other things.

Super NES took that all further with super mario world, Zelda: a link to the past, use to spend hours playing super metroid. Or one of the Romance of the 3 Kingdoms games. Star Fox was pretty amazing when it came out. And I think one of my all time favs was Mega Man X. Add to that, final fantasy 2/4, and final Fantasy 3/6.

Something to think about.... Isn't it Ironic that these games, in their limited 8bit and 16bit glory, had more story and depth of character development than most modern games do on super advanced systems? Not to mention fun factor and replay ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS