Analyst: ICS Does Not Solve Android's Main Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

zodiac321

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
Have you considered the fact that people like have different phones, and not having identical ones? Same thing for Tablets. Not everyone wants a slim tablet, thats why Toshiba made the Thrive. Some people don't want a full touchscreen, but want a keyboard...

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
I think that analyst got it backwards. In this particular case, the "fragmentation" of Android actually makes it attractive to folks that don't want to be locked down to 1 manufacturer+OS combo and have some degree of "freedom" to choose the underlying hardware and OS version. Even more, now that ICS has the apps support from tablets, makes it even more delicious! Besides, phone makers are entitled to "customize" the Android they get to fit their target market with the phone.

Anyway, Windows could have those same advantages, but closed development ain't gonna cover that much market without some serious help to the manufacturers. The rapid development of Android is it's biggest strength IMO.

Cheers!

kanaida

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Putting OS aside. I'd gladly take an adroid tablet because I don't have to deal with that bloated crappy Itunes software. Apps that "act" pretty but don't have any of the features I need, for example their PDF readers are very crappy, and the built in one didn't even have searching. I cringe when i'm fixing a pc and I see Itunes installed. What's worse is that when I do walk around with my much smaller android tablet, people always go "hey that's really cool, is it an Ipad?" and I tell them of course not, here hold it. It's not an anvil, and that I'm not going to cry if I drop this lol

G

@kanaida
iOS 5 doesn't need iTunes. It can do everything over the air, though 36 million happy iPad users says your iTunes hate is overblown.

G

The big incentive for me is this: Sign in once to any android tablet with my google account pw and my entire E world is at my fingertips. (music, news, contacts, calendar, email, books, photos, videos) And I can easily choose to stream or pin local any of it. Not so simply with apple; even with ios5/icloud.

darkgauntlett

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Mrrtmrrt[/nom]@kanaidaiOS 5 doesn't need iTunes. It can do everything over the air, though 36 million happy iPad users says your iTunes hate is overblown.[/citation] everything over the air? from itunes?

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
The point of this article is this: Always take analyst advice with a grain of salt because most of the time they are completely off base.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Mrrtmrrt[/nom]@kanaidaiOS 5 doesn't need iTunes. It can do everything over the air, though 36 million happy iPad users says your iTunes hate is overblown.[/citation]
Yea I have seen many people who use iTunes, not cause they like it cause they HAVE too to use their iPods or iPhones and all told me they did not like it. When a few got rid of their Apple product and I showed them how to use WMP or another Media Player to organize music and they saw the speed boost getting rid of iTunes gave they were astounded. Moral of story, 36 million people are forced to use the software, do not confuse that with them being happy to use it.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
"So far, we have seen the iPad control the $500 and above tablet market, with Android and other competing platforms making waves only with heavily discounted products."

WRONG! I ain't buying any tablet with such price and rather wait for "discounted products".
If Android does not offer such products I might just live without a tablet on my hand.
For me, PC, laptop, and smartphone are necessities but tablets are merely toys.

Greetings,

A proud HTC Desire+ Archos G9 80 user

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Android tablet makers are finisehd. Apple and Amazon will rule because they offer something the consumer wants: an all-in-one place to get their content.

Apple has the higher end and Amazon will own the lower end (pre-orders for Amazon's new tablet suggest iPad numbers for sales). There just isn;t much room left over for the umpteen other tablet makers to carve out any reasonable piece for themselves.

pede93063

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
to: ericburnby
've been satisfied with my tab7 android and with netflix and hulu and expandable memory (and samsung market) personally I do not see any reason to have neither apple nor amazon cloud access

G

Android does thing differently. Case 1: Widgets. Case 2: File Explorers. Case 3: Launchers. Case 4: If you didn't get the point by now, you are on Apple's payroll or invest in Apple heavily.

kanaida

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Uh lemme guess how you installed IOS 5? hmm... Itunes?

I develop web apps for apple and android devices and that's how I had to do it.
To me they are just target platforms.

My beef with Itunes is that it's MASSIVE, very slow, and doesn't work as intended very often. I wrote a program that took 5 years of work, and it's about 40MB. Does many things related to manufacturing, reporting, entering orders, tons of stuff. How big is Itunes? like 300MB +
I have no idea how that is even possible for such a trivial thing like a media player with a couple extras, especially when IOS images are NOT included in all that. It's slow as a dog and messes with wifi by installing some bojour crap.

But worst of all is that, if I discover winamp tommorow and think it's amazing, i'm pretty much screwed without resorting to hacks.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
This is what irritates me from switching from my iPod Touch to the Galaxy S2.
iTunes music transfer to DoubleTwist, to my Galaxy S2. Some of the tags are messed up no thanks to the AAC format. Ironically DoubleTwist (and EVERY other media player) have the appropriate tags before transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.