Analyst: New iPad 3 Coming in Two Months

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I like how the iPad 3's have a supposed resolution of 2,048x1,536 and then they mention how the Galaxy Tab 11.6 may come with a 2560x1600 display.

Because Samsung makes their own panels! :D

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]Do you think the prototype will be stolen at a bar soon?[/citation]

For sure!

[citation][nom]okibrian[/nom]It will be called the iPad 2s and look just like the last one.[/citation]

You forgot to add that it will function just like the last one.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I like how the iPad 3's have a supposed resolution of 2,048x1,536 and then they mention how the Galaxy Tab 11.6 may come with a 2560x1600 display.Because Samsung makes their own panels![/citation]

That's not why, at all.

Apple likes to make life easy for developers, by keeping resolutions and resolution ratios constant.

Do 1024 x 768, and times it by 2. That's right, 2048 x 1536. So Apps will immediately work on the new iPad with no recoding or redesigning.

See, that's the key to Apples success really. You get a few geeks who may incorrectly assume that 2560 x 1600 is better, but then they will wonder why there are fewer apps, meaning that they can't actually do as much for it. Apple considers the whole cycle, from manufacturing to developer to consumer, brings it all together in a far more coherent package.

stalker7d7

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]That's not why, at all.Apple likes to make life easy for developers, by keeping resolutions and resolution ratios constant.Do 1024 x 768, and times it by 2. That's right, 2048 x 1536. So Apps will immediately work on the new iPad with no recoding or redesigning.See, that's the key to Apples success really. You get a few geeks who may incorrectly assume that 2560 x 1600 is better, but then they will wonder why there are fewer apps, meaning that they can't actually do as much for it. Apple considers the whole cycle, from manufacturing to developer to consumer, brings it all together in a far more coherent package.[/citation]

The only way doing a resolution like that would be beneficial for apps is if the developer was incompetent and couldn't make the app work for more than one resolution ratio...

This is just a sign of apple being lazy I think. Or not being able to get a display to match Samsung. Either that, or they too will come out with a 2560 x 1600 display.

Pyree

Distinguished
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]That's not why, at all.Apple likes to make life easy for developers, by keeping resolutions and resolution ratios constant.Do 1024 x 768, and times it by 2. That's right, 2048 x 1536. So Apps will immediately work on the new iPad with no recoding or redesigning.See, that's the key to Apples success really. You get a few geeks who may incorrectly assume that 2560 x 1600 is better, but then they will wonder why there are fewer apps, meaning that they can't actually do as much for it. Apple considers the whole cycle, from manufacturing to developer to consumer, brings it all together in a far more coherent package.[/citation]
Well, since everyone is going to get 16:9 wouldn't it be wiser for Apple to use 16:9 from the beginning on 1st gen ipad, instead of making newer gen of ipad 4:3?

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
most iPads I have seen are sitting on tables gathering dust. Now that the craze is over, and there are better products on the market I wonder how many people will go with apple vs all the android tablets. Besides, the real news will be next fall when Win8 comes out for tablets! That will be the real game changer.

jjtober1

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Is the craze over though (I doubt it)? I wonder why people go with tablets at all really, you can get a laptop with much more functionality for the same price, way more practical, same price even includes an overpriced windows 7. I have an Acer Iconia a500 and it's little more than a novelty.

Still I have to say all these new devices do excite me even if I have little use for them.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Could you please multiply 1280 x 800 (which is the resolution used by all Samsung Galaxy Tabs, and by tons of android tablets) by two! That's right it's 2560 x 1600. It's aspect ratio is also a lot closer to the ones used in smartphones, so it's easier to convert apps from smartphones to tablets.

G

my neighbor's mother makes $81/hour on the internet. She has been out of work for 7 months but last month her check was $7174 just working on the internet for a few hours. Here's the site to read more... MakeCash10.com

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Instead of pushing super high resolution displays (which current mobile CPU's and GPU's will not be able to provide good performance on (leading to text and other simple content using the full resolution but games running at 720p or less resolution)

They need to improve the static contrast ratio as well as the black levels.

One of the most annoying aspects of a tablet screen is me being unable to calibrate it. Even worst, many tablets seem to be using dynamic contrast which is annoying because the change is noticeable since while the picture on the screen can change 60 times per second, the backlight brightness can only change 1 time or less per second.

Improve the color quality and also the pixel response time.

Use higher output SMD's for the backlighting and reduce the size of the glass cover/ digitizer, then place metal fins around the screen that are flexible outside of a certain point to act as both a heatsink for the SMD as well as a shock absorber, Then allow for a boarder around the device that is empty to provide a buffer zone using high impact plastic such as the kind used in the original game boy.

Methods like this are not new and are not expensive to implement. They have also proven effective when used in high impact environments such as on a battlefield.

Imagine if you were in the military and your electronic equipment has the durability of an ipad 2 (the enemy could shout at you and knock your squad back 40 years technologically)

nao1120

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
So that means the original iPad will still cost 499, ipad 2, 600, and the new one, 699, makes sense to me. Sad really...... Don't think they can keep this up if they keep suing vendors that make the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.