Analysts Grow Impatient at Lack of Kindle Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

culgor

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
I love reading on my Kindle. I can carry all of my books with me. It is lighter than the 1,000+ page bricks coming out. So far the only thing lacking is the content. Not all new books are being released on the Kindle, which is a shame.

plinkoblinko

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
Not surprised, Until I can order all my textbooks (Cheap!) and use built in highlighters and notes...That is when I'll invest in a Kindle.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]lightsaber[/nom]I'll stick with a good ole physical paper back book thank you.[/citation]

Agreed. To be fair, I haven't tried it so I can't knock it, but it just doesn't sound appealing to me.

G

This makes one wonder if Amazon may be pulling some kind of Ponza scheme to artificially inflate the sales and popularity numbers to bring in more investment dollars.

Personally, I would never shell out almost $500 for the Kindle DX, then roughly another $200 +/- for a two year service contract which basically covers battery replacement.

As for the Kindle itself (not the DX), it's way too small and they still want too much for both the product and the service contract.

Plus if you actually take the time to read through the reviews, you'll find that Amazon does not keep their word as to "once you purchase an eBook, it's yours forever" and there are other problems that do arise. You just need to take the time to read through the reviews.

Although if it wasn't for the pricing and the fact that the battery can't be changed by the user, the Kindle DX would be a great present for my wife.

Ho0d1um

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
[citation][nom]lightsaber[/nom]I'll stick with a good ole physical paper back book thank you.[/citation]
They also cost the same and you don't have to shell out $300-500 on a little gadget.

konjiki7

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
Paper back works for me. I still rock a P.A.D no need to have latest model or upgrade because it only comes in one flavor!

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
If they release stats, then it'll be easy to infer their volume with other products and that may show a difference in overall company value versus what shareholders expected.

G

Proprietary files format;
you do not actually own what you bought - you're just renting it for the full book's price;
Amazon can (and DOES!) delete any book from YOUR Kindle without even asking you first;

What else great features of Kindle did I miss?

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
I want an e-book, but, at the prices they're selling at, someone might as well release an e-book app for most large mobile OSes and then let us do it on our mobiles. I can't afford the price of a full smartphone to just display words on a screen with no real other functionality.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Tim-Tom[/nom]Proprietary files format;you do not actually own what you bought - you're just renting it for the full book's price;Amazon can (and DOES!) delete any book from YOUR Kindle without even asking you first;What else great features of Kindle did I miss?[/citation]
that's why I keep my library on a SD card and my e-reader does not have a wireless connection...

G

McQuivery, an Anal-cyst. I hate it when the rich QQ about how they don't have solid numbers at how much money they are making.

I wanted to purchase a kindle for my aged mother to read her books, but after the remote deletion fiasco heck no. Plus the price of the digital books I was looking for were the same price as the paperback.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
1 Kindle, Nook, Sony Reader = about 100 to 200 books (depending if you wait for paper back, hit up used book stores, buy on sale, etc...). I love to read, but I might mosey through about 12 to 15 novels in a year, if I am lucky. It just does not add up. Is there a free book download incentive (1 per month, maybe) that I am missing? For the starting price of 260 bucks there should be.

buckiller

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
A friend of mine got one for xmas. I was VERY impressed. It read just as good as a book.

It can definitely be improved (backlight, more "openness," cheaper, more functionality, etc

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
My family has a couple of ebook readers and although they are nice I am no longer convinced they are worth the money. If you travel a lot or have limited space there is some value added. My wife travels a lot and uses her reader all the time but my children do not use theirs much at all. When the tech gets better and if textbooks are released on them I can see it being more worthwhile. The only other thing that I really thing would help with the continued success of readers is wireless charging. To pick up the reader and not have to worry that you forgot to charge it would be a godsend. The tech is out there and for the price we are paying it should be included.

Status
Not open for further replies.