Android 2.2 Does USB Tethering, Wi-Fi Hot Spot

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

These are nice features but it will all depends if the carriers decide to provide the upgrade or not ... that's so sad ..

arcainumbro

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
I don't think Verizon will block the Hotspot feature. They pimp it on the Pre and Pixie, and it will drive more business their way...and more importantly away from Apple/AT&T.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
I am not sure if I would be disappointed if Verizon decided to limit/charge for the tethering/hotspot feature. Nothing would murder their network (or any network) like every android owner out there offering free wifi to themselves and nearby buddies. Cap it, charge for it, whatever, just make sure the turbojerks aren't making the 3g network slow for all the rest of us responsible customers.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I'm curious to see what they'll do. They made the two Palm devices' WiFi hotspot function free but then Palm doesn't hold near the market share Android does.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Kick Apple where it hurts by rolling out a feature that Apple rolled out last summer? Uh, ouch I guess? I guess technically it is a feature that iPhone owners won't have because of AT&T but that isn't exactly the fault of Apple. I mean, when the tethering features for iPhone 3.0 were announced we didn't know we would never get them. What is to say Verizon doesn't say "thanks but no thanks" to tethering? We already know what AT&T is going to say.

Froyo looks awesome though. I'm just waiting on a solid Android phone to hit Sprint so I can bail from my Bold and AT&T and jump on their $29 data only plan.

lathe26

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
What about tethering over Bluetooth?

I have USB tethering and Bluetooth tethering now with my (otherwise disappointing) WinMo 6.1 phone on AT&T. I can do work while riding the bus to work without needing to fumble with a cable (love it).

Lack of tethering has kept me from going iPhone or Android. Now I'm getting interested...

mattfoo2324

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Please stop flashing that 450% performance number without some background info. That number is so misleading. Taken straight from the original article: "While real-life improvements will most certainly not be 450% across the board, we still expect the N1 [Nexus One] and even Flash to benefit from JIT because, as other programs become more efficient, more CPU will be available to such natively compiled programs."
They do go on to say, though: "Oh yeah, the phone is indeed noticeably faster."

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/05/11/exclusive-androidpolice-coms-nexus-one-is-running-android-2-2-froyo-how-fast-is-it-compared-to-2-1-oh-only-about-450-faster/

ksmckay

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
What about tethering over Bluetooth?

Lack of tethering has kept me from going iPhone or Android. Now I'm getting interested...

Android already has bluetooth tethering. You need an app (free, PDAnet) though.

G

you know verizon isnt going to allow the droid to be USB tethered or be a Wi-Fi hotspot without charging you an arm and a leg for doing so, i think they allready have a USB Tethered price plan for like 30$ or 40$ a month

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]arcainumbro[/nom]I don't think Verizon will block the Hotspot feature. They pimp it on the Pre and Pixie, and it will drive more business their way...and more importantly away from Apple/AT&T.[/citation]

I bet they will block it. I'm pretty sure this was the REAL reason the Nexus1 never made it onto Verizons network! Google didn't want Verizon to cripple their showcase phone, and Verizon didn't want to give up their lucrative upcharging revenue... So neither side would budge, and no nexus for the Verizonites.

As a comparison, Verizon also blocks WinMo6+ from doing this natively so they can sell it as a monthly service instead.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Asono[/nom]you know verizon isnt going to allow the droid to be USB tethered or be a Wi-Fi hotspot without charging you an arm and a leg for doing so, i think they allready have a USB Tethered price plan for like 30$ or 40$ a month[/citation]

Yup. Like I said, this is the REAL reason the Nexus1 didnt get on verizon's network.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
Mmmm, my Android phone has Flash inbuilt, I thought it was native to be honest, since I saw no flash app, no flash install or anything, it just came with my phone!

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Umm the people thinking about Verizon "blocking" tethering need to realize Android doesn't play well with locks. And while you need to wait for your phone producer to roll out an "official" Android 2.2 upgrade, you can always root / flash one of the many custom kit's out there. Since Android is open source many custom kit makers will roll it up into their distribution. About the only thing you loose with custom kitting is any special apps your phone producer made themselves.

hurbt

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]I am not sure if I would be disappointed if Verizon decided to limit/charge for the tethering/hotspot feature. Nothing would murder their network (or any network) like every android owner out there offering free wifi to themselves and nearby buddies. Cap it, charge for it, whatever, just make sure the turbojerks aren't making the 3g network slow for all the rest of us responsible customers.[/citation]

Refraining from the use of a mobile device feature, does not make you responsible. Paying your mortgage, disciplining your children, and not taking "mental health days" off from work makes you responsible.

I hope they fully enable wifi tethering. I was going to switch from att to verizon in a couple months, anyway. With the release of android, I'm even more inclined.

Status
Not open for further replies.