Android Botnet Claims 1 Million Victims in China

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Yeah, I don't think that attack was sponsored by the government...

Maybe China would invest a little more into cracking down on the Mob hackers?

(I call them "Mob" because many professional hackers work together, just like criminal gangs)

JackFrost860

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
I was a big fan of Android and i used a GS2 for almost two years; but the security model of Android of unverified apps being uploaded to the Play Store every day is just tacking the platform to a perfect storm; news reports like these are just the beginning. Android needs to start charging for uploading apps to the Play store like Microsoft and Apple do, and the money spent of reviewing the code before releasing it to the customer base.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]JackFrost860[/nom]I was a big fan of Android and i used a GS2 for almost two years; but the security model of Android of unverified apps being uploaded to the Play Store every day is just tacking the platform to a perfect storm; news reports like these are just the beginning. Android needs to start charging for uploading apps to the Play store like Microsoft and Apple do, and the money spent of reviewing the code before releasing it to the customer base.[/citation]

However, Google still has to walk a fine line between setting the flood gates to "full open" and being a tyrant about selecting which stuff to approve.

When the first iPhones came out, a company got screwed over by Apple when Apple's review committee took over three years to approve their preemptively heavily marketed app.

By the time the app was available on the market, the new iPhones already included the app's feature.

Ouch...

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Meh. I'm still in charge of my phone. I can keep it tight and secure, or I can open it up to whatever dubious apps I want. It's up to me.[/citation]

You have no idea how many people social engineering can dupe, and how many of those people thought they were being smart.

[citation][nom]expressionate[/nom]Will an Antivirus like Avast help to protect my phone?[/citation]

Well, smartphones are essentially ultra-mobile computers. Better safe than sorry.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]However, Google still has to walk a fine line between setting the flood gates to "full open" and being a tyrant about selecting which stuff to approve.When the first iPhones came out, a company got screwed over by Apple when Apple's review committee took over three years to approve their preemptively heavily marketed app. By the time the app was available on the market, the new iPhones already included the app's feature.Ouch...[/citation]

Care to post a link to that app, just asking to cite your sources...

Ouch

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
During my Introduction to Computer Concepts (state mandated high-school class), we were shown a rather dated CBS (I think) documentary on the iPhone, what made it so influential, and how were developers building apps and submitting them to be reviewed. The DVD documentary was published after Apple reached its 1 billion app mark.

The company submitted an app that had to do with "enhancing communication" (don't fully remember), and proceeded to run advertisements in anticipation of their app being approved quickly.

However, a group of indie developers got lucky that their app was approved within 3 months.

ccovemaker

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
1) I would rather have the freedom to install what I want on my phone vs Apples walled garden big brother knows best approach.
2) China's population is now 1.3 billion. That means .07% of the Chinese people were affected by this. "Oh noes Androidz is broke!!" This is not news. More Zak based Apple propaganda.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]ccovemaker[/nom]1) I would rather have the freedom to install what I want on my phone vs Apples walled garden big brother knows best approach.2) China's population is now 1.3 billion. That means .07% of the Chinese people were affected by this. "Oh noes Androidz is broke!!" This is not news. More Zak based Apple propaganda.[/citation]

You've gotta be kidding?! Allowing 7,000 applications to have a trojan is short of criminal. If you were to replace Android App Store with Apple App Store, you'd be writing a totally different comment... This is sh*tty for Android users! Go blamestorm elsewhere! This forum is full of rabid angry Android fans that make excuses for everything...

Sent from my Nexus 7

mugiebahar

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
I agree that something needs to be done. I use my iPhone for work and S3 for play (yes I not need 2 phones my wife yells at me all the time so I get it) but if MS had that many Trojans running loose and not fixed everyone would be yelling at the top of their voice.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
There's a lot of personal data there. It was maybe quite naive to think it would not be exploited to its full extent. App management and security in smartphones is completely stacked in favour of 'legitimate' software vendors that want your data. If you ask me then its likely that these guys are just piggy backing so that's what all the fuss is about.

So anyway. I have yet to see a mobile device operating system that brings the lessons learned from the PC into smartphones. It's just not really there for the consumer yet.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Yeah why don't i believe that over 1milion people got there phone infected from the Play Store? Stop downloading and installing apps from shady sites and then your golden, don't tell me that this comes as news to you after 20+ years of internet availability ...

contentsmayvary

Honorable
May 28, 2012
/facepalm at all the people thinking these infections came from the Play store. They don't - they come from sideloaded apps - often "free" versions of apps that you have to pay for on the Play store.

G

Infected users DID NOT USE THE GOOGLE PLAY STORE TO OBTAIN THE INFECTED APP........ The same thing would (and would) happen to iPhone users if they used a 3rd party store to purchase and download software.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]You've gotta be kidding?! Allowing 7,000 applications to have a trojan is short of criminal. If you were to replace Android App Store with Apple App Store, you'd be writing a totally different comment... This is sh*tty for Android users! Go blamestorm elsewhere! This forum is full of rabid angry Android fans that make excuses for everything...Sent from my Nexus 7[/citation]
Why does this widespread in China? Because most of infected phones there download pirated games from suspicious sites in CHINA not Google Play. Remember Google tried to prevent Acer and what it's called "Alibaba" create an like-Android phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.