Android OS version? how 'old' can I go? recs?

hondochica

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
I have an original Samsung Galaxy tablet from 2011. Time to upgrade as I can't upgrade the OS and can't download virtually any new apps or upgrade existing apps. I will only use it via wi-fi. And I use it mostly for navigating while traveling, IBird Pro, internet access . well . . maybe more than I realize (!) but not for games or movies. Certainly don't need the latest/greatest - usually 'buggy'. I'm inclined to stick with Samsung - as I've been very happy with my tablet to date. Will 5 suffice? or might I get away with a 4.x ?

Also, any recommendations on tablets?

Thanks

Kelly

Solution
Well as far as how old of an OS to go with, that is really up to you. I am not usually one to say 'go for the newest' but in this case you probably should. While some of the older versions are good, more and more apps, games, etc., do not work with them. Also some apps will work with the older versions, but they are limited. Added features and upgrades stop working after a while.

Now there is also the reverse of this issue, as in some older apps and features no longer work with a newer OS.

The biggest thing I would consider is that any version prior to "Marshmallow" (which is 6 btw) is missing a key feature, which is the ability to download to an SD card and not just to the device. Giving you way more options for space utilization...
Well as far as how old of an OS to go with, that is really up to you. I am not usually one to say 'go for the newest' but in this case you probably should. While some of the older versions are good, more and more apps, games, etc., do not work with them. Also some apps will work with the older versions, but they are limited. Added features and upgrades stop working after a while.

Now there is also the reverse of this issue, as in some older apps and features no longer work with a newer OS.

The biggest thing I would consider is that any version prior to "Marshmallow" (which is 6 btw) is missing a key feature, which is the ability to download to an SD card and not just to the device. Giving you way more options for space utilization. Now, I know some Samsung and LG devices are restricted in this option (which really isn't quite fair), but it is something you should consider when looking over tablets. If you aren't sure if that device will allow it (and it runs "Marshmallow") then a quick search online, or contacting the manufacturer, will get you the information you need.

Side Note: I don't know that any Samsung tablets actually run "Marshmallow" yet, but I do know there are a few. The cheapest one I know that is running it would be the Nvidia Shield Tablet K1. No, I am not 'recommending' that device, just adding the info.

Happy hunting!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS