Android Trojan Tells Contacts You're a Pirate

Status
Not open for further replies.

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
lmao! Android is a joke right now...and Google is closing it further. But that is pretty funny...buy the app you cheap bastards!

johnh2005

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
That is absolutely brilliant. I am guessing that the makers of Walk and Text made this and distributed it to the torrent sites. Brilliant. Just Brilliant. I would get a heck of a laugh from this. I will make sure not to torrent it though as I do have quite a few contacts I would not want knowing that I sometimes go... YARR!!!!!

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Lets hope this isn't a bit of revenge by the developers. After all, writing a virus - even a well intentioned one meant to help enforce the law and embarrass lawbreakers - is still writing a virus. I believe many countries have legal codes about engaging in such activities. Additionally, there is an intent to cause financial harm by hoping they are not on an unlimited SMS plan.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Android is full of fail, why anyone would buy one of those phones is beyond me.[/citation]
Because it is way more secure than iOS. Yes, you read that correctly. Look at the results of the most recent Pwn2Own event before you even think about replying to this.

Any platform can be compromised if you install malicious software on it, even the almighty Linux. This shouldn't take anything more than a grade-school education to understand. Just because you aren't smart enough to figure out that random pirated apps may be malicious doesn't mean that the rest of us should live in Apple's walled garden, being disallowed from installing anything they didn't approve.

Personally, I'd rather own a feature(less) phone with nothing more than a 10-key pad than own an iPhone. Then again, I buy a phone for functionality, not because "it makes me look cool".
Hint: iPhone doesn't really make you look cool, people just think it does.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Last I checked, Google leaves the option to install Non-Market apps up to the end user... why anyone would throw a hissy-fit over something that adds greater freedom is beyond me. Btw, the Market it's self is FULL of Trojans, but those apps serve you advertisements rather than virus'- thank goodness for the user feedback, else the Market would be a total loss.

I may be biased though, I love my Android device(s)

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
android is linux based, and in my opinion should allow developers to develop open source apps, for free. I don't want to pay for an app, that once you buy it, does not seem to be what you needed it to be.

mistert

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Android phones are great but this is not about my phone vs your phone. We will leave that to the playground.
Now that I have seen this article I would not install this app on my phone even if I bought if from the Marketplace. How could you trust the authors did not put some other unwanted code in the app. While I don't disagree with them trying to protect their work, I do disagree with their tactics which shows a tendency to deceive.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
First off, someone or some developer needs to stand up and be the first to teach those unofficial app users a lesson. So +1 for Walkinwat dev.

Second, since the app was obtained illegally, the author is no longer liable for any damages done to the phone or to the user. There's no license to protect the app user in this case.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
[citation][nom]milktea[/nom]First off, someone or some developer needs to stand up and be the first to teach those unofficial app users a lesson. So +1 for Walkinwat dev.Second, since the app was obtained illegally, the author is no longer liable for any damages done to the phone or to the user. There's no license to protect the app user in this case.[/citation]
Why is it illegally obtained app? Are you saying exactly the same app with exactly the same functionality (i.e. send those text messages) are on Android Market?

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
[citation][nom]milktea[/nom]First off, someone or some developer needs to stand up and be the first to teach those unofficial app users a lesson. So +1 for Walkinwat dev.Second, since the app was obtained illegally, the author is no longer liable for any damages done to the phone or to the user. There's no license to protect the app user in this case.[/citation]

Seeing as this 'App' was designed, and presumably deliberately distributed by the means of a torrent. That is a legitimate way of obtaining it. The Authors are liable and have committed a crime by doing this. I hope they get their asses sued out of their pants so hard they can never shit themselves again.

G

At Vampire and MxM, while the trojan app is probably acquired legally due to it being distributed, those that get infected by it are doing so because they are attempting to obtain an illegal copy of a legitimate app. I agree with milktea, good job to the author.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
A risky thing they did there... of course those devs will be the first under suspicion... and writing viruses, especially ones that use your network to send unwanted messages, is illegal.
On the other hand some hacker/ex-employee at that company may have deliberately done this to get them in trouble..

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]Hint: iPhone doesn't really make you look cool, people just think it does.[/citation]
And white headphones just shout "mug me"

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I wonder how many of those people are going to get that text and say:
"Hey,,,can you show me how to pirate it too?"

One of the best successful anti piracy measures is actually ignorance. If people realized how easy it is to get things for free, they probably wouldn't be paying for them either.

Good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.