Annoying Keyboard Virus Messing with my typing Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2018
Hi i got a weird virus yesterday.

it messes with my keyboard. some keys are not working at all like a, e, y, u, 1, 2 3, 4, 7,8, 0, q w s d h z x c b n. Backspace

the others the first time i press it works fine then if i press it again it types it 8 or 9 times.

So i cant use my keyboard at all.

i got Acer v17 nitro and windows 10. i think i got the virus after windows update.

it was working fine, i went out for a few hours with my laptop open. i got back and the virus was on

i tried malwarebytes anti virus didnt find anything.

dont know what to do, please help

its so annoying, maybe its doing other bad things as well
btw i am using the onscreen keyboard and my mouse to type this :)

It may not be a virus. It may just be a bad driver for the keyboard. Try uninstalling the keyboard driver, don't reinstall it yet, restart the computer and it should reinstall it on its own. If the driver was the issue, this should fix it. If not, then try starting up the computer in "Safe Mode" and see if you can use the keyboard fine then. If yes, then you need to get a good antivirus program and search with that. Malwarebytes, not really serious antivirus it is more malware. Two totally different things.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.

Apr 14, 2018
Thank you, now i am starting to think too that it may not be a virus because i tried safe mode and i still had the problem. On the other hand a random command prompt window just opened and closed itself in a few seconds as i am typing this (with the on-screen keyboard). But i tried reinstalling the drivers the way u suggested, still it didnt work. i also did windows fresh start. still it didnt fix it. i dont what else to do. i will try an external usb keyboard if it works correctly. maybe theres something wrong with the keyboard.

May 14, 2018
is there any pop up flashing on your screen while working?
did you try uninstall and reinstall Keyboard driver through device manager?
did you try reset regional language?

Jun 6, 2018
Hello.
I've been struggling for 2-3 weeks with a problem with the keyboard on my pc, but only on the internet, i.e. it was fine offline. The issue was mainly with digits - I would start entering them and after three or four it would start entering the wrong digit. It would then get increasingly difficult to get the correct digit to come up: I'd often have to enter and delete each one 4-7 times before the correct one would show. As you can imagine, it was a great concern and hindrance with online banking etc. My ESET anti-virus, Malware Bytes, and Spybot Search & Destroy all came back with clear scans.
Today I just thought of checking installed programs and found one I didn't recognise from "LogMeIn, Inc". It was dated from around the time problems started. I've uninstalled it and keyboard entry seems to be back to normal. When I saw "LogMeIn" it rang a bell - I think when I had a different problem a few years ago I uninstalled something from them at that time and the problem went away. Worth a look in your installed programs perhaps? It's worth doing every so often anyway, to check for anything you know nothing about.

Jan 16, 2019
I have this ASUS x540LA it was affected by the Ransomeware attack last year. It had malfunctioning keys before the attack. Then it crashed the windows wont boot. So I asked an IT (In India) to just re intsall windows on my Laptop. I dont care about any files. So he did and he wiped out everything on my Laptop. To my surprise and to his dismay, He fixed my laptop keyboard. All functioning well. Not until I plugged in again the WD passport hard drive that has a Security thing and needs admins permission before you can unlock. Then the Keyboard started to malfunction again. I am sure that my keyboard is working well. I think its a scam for not so techy people to have their keyboard replaced when in fact there is some genius bug that is just creeping underneath your system even hiding from the anti virus. Or perhaps they are all benefiting from destroying your well and good working laptop. Who would buy a new one if they will not put a bug on your laptop? Makes sense right?

Status
Not open for further replies.