Antennas and broadcast markets

JC Madison

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
I'm cutting the cord and researching antennas and markets, Currently it is only giving me stations for my zip code state , but I live on a state line. Do I have to do anything different to acquire signals/stations from my next door state? Oh, what is the actual distance you can get on the antennas claiming 150 miles? Does anyone on here have experience with them? Thank you JC

Solution
Can you link to the "150 mile" antenna? The BS multiplication factor on antenna range is really big.
But to have a shot at 100 mile coverage, you would need a very directional antenna, a 50 foot tower and a rotor.
Channel master calls this a 100 mile antenna -- https://www.channelmaster.com/Digital_HDTV_Outdoor_TV_Antenna_p/cm-3020.htm I can't find the length but the box is about 7 ft long.

So if your "150 mile" antenna is less than 6 ft long they are full of BS.

kanewolf

Judicious
Can you link to the "150 mile" antenna? The BS multiplication factor on antenna range is really big.
But to have a shot at 100 mile coverage, you would need a very directional antenna, a 50 foot tower and a rotor.
Channel master calls this a 100 mile antenna -- https://www.channelmaster.com/Digital_HDTV_Outdoor_TV_Antenna_p/cm-3020.htm I can't find the length but the box is about 7 ft long.

So if your "150 mile" antenna is less than 6 ft long they are full of BS.

Solution

clarkjd

Distinguished

For some reason, radio waves have NO respect for state lines.:pfff: That is the nature of the term "broadcast" If you can point the antenna at the station, you should be able to receive it, TV signals do tend to be line-of-sight, though. That's why the further away the station, the higher the antenna has to be.

Channel Master makes excellent antenna and gear for them. I would contact them for a suggestion on how to set up.
Sometimes two antennas is easier than a rotor. You can use a splitter as a combiner so you avoid problems scanning for channels. Much less hassle than having to rotate the antenna when changing channels too. Maybe cheaper.