Anti-IE6 Petition Submitted to UK Government

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepetey

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
Its more than just the government... I have worked 3 different co-op terms in the past 2 years and all 3 of them had and forced you to use IE 6.

Microsoft needs to just force an update instead of using lame petitions

dopeydog

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
How are they supposed to run a country if they can't even change a web browser? Downloading and installing firefox or chrome takes no more than 2 minutes!

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]thepetey[/nom]Its more than just the government... I have worked 3 different co-op terms in the past 2 years and all 3 of them had and forced you to use IE 6. Microsoft needs to just force an update instead of using lame petitions[/citation]
Even if you force an update doesn't mean it will be installed due to how some things are set up.

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]dopeydog[/nom]How are they supposed to run a country if they can't even change a web browser? Downloading and installing firefox or chrome takes no more than 2 minutes![/citation]

It is not just the government. We are having pushback to deprecating IE6 support for our products. In fact, we have an insistance the other day that we support Firefox 2.x. I'm expecting someone to step forward with NetScape 1.0 any day now!

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]What am I missing here? Is there some sort of major problem for the government and corporate arena?[/citation]

Yes. If the end user will not update their browser, you cannot deprecate support for the version. IE6 seems to be unusually tenacious in the respect.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
They should be AT LEAST on IE7 by now, srsly

I'm all for killing IE6

I don't care if you go to IE8, FF, or whatever. Just don't use IE6!

dechy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
I happen to work for the biggest department in Canada, and let me tell you, we want IE6 dead... the huge problem is our lame almost-reaching-retirement web dev taskforce. The intranet/internet is specifically coded for IE6, and has so many bugs with IE7/IE8 it's not even funny.

No one wants to take on the insane task of changing such a massive amount of high profile websites that are used every minute of the day by thousands of canadian citizens. And let me tell you, when it comes to the possibility of interrupting or possibly creating problems for the canadian public, it's worst than walking on eggshells; it's about one of the few things you could lose your permanent position over if it hits the medias or get screwed up just a BIT.

It's so bad, some people need VMs/extra computers with IE7/IE8 installed to access other websites of different formats. Sadly, it's a 100% pure Microsoft department, and using Firefox/Chrome/whatever else is taboo.

Conservatives FTL

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
[citation][nom]dopeydog[/nom]How are they supposed to run a country if they can't even change a web browser? Downloading and installing firefox or chrome takes no more than 2 minutes![/citation]

Governments wont use chrome or firefox, and FF is just too bloated and unstable for use

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I'm a web developer and I have no problem supporting IE6 (now down to still respectable 20% market share). And no, it doesn't take a lot of work to support IE6 in addition to every other major broser, just a little experience and knowledge. I'm sick of all the whining, if users don't want to bother with upgrading their browsers then that's their business.

romansky

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]I'm a web developer and I have no problem supporting IE6 (now down to still respectable 20% market share). And no, it doesn't take a lot of work to support IE6 in addition to every other major broser, just a little experience and knowledge. I'm sick of all the whining, if users don't want to bother with upgrading their browsers then that's their business.[/citation]

killerclick, you must be building some nice tables based pages.. heh you cant be any sort of serious web developer and say that, I bet your are a web designer ...

teamride

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
killerclick are you kidding me? CSS barely works with IE6, god for bid if you ever needed to position a div or apply advanced styling too! Plus no default transparent png support, yes i know there are "workarounds" but give me a break...

teamride

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
killerclick are you kidding me? CSS barely works with IE6, god for bid if you ever needed to position a div or apply advanced styling too! Plus no default transparent png support, yes i know there are "workarounds" but give me a break...

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]romansky[/nom]killerclick, you must be building some nice tables based pages.. heh you cant be any sort of serious web developer and say that, I bet your are a web designer ...[/citation]

Nope, I'm just a professional unlike those who whine how IE6 is stifling their creativity and who think they shouldn't put in a little extra work just because users can upgrade from IE6 for free. I have hired and fired such people before, I guess they end up organizing petitions. :)

romansky

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Nope, I'm just a professional unlike those who whine how IE6 is stifling their creativity and who think they shouldn't put in a little extra work just because users can upgrade from IE6 for free. I have hired and fired such people before, I guess they end up organizing petitions.[/citation]

LOL, who cares about you? I dont know you and I already dont like you, thus I wouldnt hire you!
There's many kinds of sites, I develop web apps, the kind that you actually use developing skills and not use others work (jquery, wordpress etc)

so STFU and respect those who write your silly IE6 compat lines, I would bet a little fortune that you dont write any code other then

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]teamride[/nom]killerclick are you kidding me? CSS barely works with IE6, god for bid if you ever needed to position a div or apply advanced styling too! Plus no default transparent png support, yes i know there are "workarounds" but give me a break...[/citation]

Yes, there are "workarounds" as opposed to organizing sit-ins in front of the British Parliament. :)

Just have an extra CSS file for IE6 and some extra 8bit PNGs to preserve functionality. Is that hard? Want me to point you to some beginners' tutorials?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS