Anti-Virus Software Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl7811

Estimable
Apr 19, 2014
Hello, I have recently finished building and installing my new Desktop and now find myself looking to protect it from pesky viruses. So in the past I have always had Norton for my protection and have to say I have really enjoyed its protection plus how user friendly it is. But sometimes it would add lag when ever I was gaming which now I am thinking of doing a bit of recording this wouldn't be ideal. So I was hoping there were any experts with Anti-Virus Software out there that could point in the right direction.

The two main things that I would like help with is which would be the best option to go with that would 1. Not lag games as much especially when recording & 2. Offer me the protection that you obviously want.

If you don't mind taking time to help me I would really appreciate it. Thank you

Askei

Estimable
Apr 25, 2014
If you are looking for free anti-virus you can't go wrong with Avast. I have been using AVG till I was annoyed with it and switched to Avast. Without knowing what PC you are using I can't judge for sure the cpu usage difference you will receive but Avast definitely wins in this aspect. Actually this was the main reason I stuck with Avast. In three years using Avast I have never got any problems with it. It is abit less cpu intensive and annoying than the then AVG.

Avast had a bad User Interface before but they changed it completely years ago and that one negative thing was gone. I will always advice Avast over AVG (comparing the version 1 year from now). I must admit I don't know the changes in the newest version.

Don't get me wrong AVG Free anti-virus is also quiet good but you will love Avast. And by the way its free try one for 1 week and then 2nd for another. Somehow some people prefer one over other for some odd reason. I have no odd reasons :p Avast is just better. It has also gaming mode option where it will stop any virus scans till its on.

Also keep Malware Bytes for time to time more thorough spywares/adware check.

And I can't help you with Full paid Versions as I never had them/needed them.

Carl7811

Estimable
Apr 19, 2014
I'll be sure to check Avast as well. To be honest I am not bothered about paying or getting for free as long as the job is done as well as not being a CPU Hog. I have just had a look through my Computer and I do have Microsoft Security Essentials which seems to be okay from what I have read up. Any idea of your own opinion on that? Btw thank you for the help

Askei

Estimable
Apr 25, 2014
I can't say anything other than what I have read about MSE, it is known to do the job as far as what've heard. In last 5 6 years the only antivirus I have used is AVG Avast and Avira, and I can through my perspective say Avast wins the race in flexibility cpu usage and ease of use. MSE is quite light but I have read its CPU Usage is near about same as Avast but having less features than it. Try to google MSE feature to feature comparison with Avast and see how much of that extra feature is beneficial to you as per your usage.

I would say use it for a while if its already there and couple it with MalwareBytes for time to time adware cleanups. I personally haven't researched so many other antivirus since my work was being done with Avast + malware. Usually people tend to look for a new solution when they get annoyed with or have infection problem instead of the antivirus they have. My brother uses 360 which is known to be light weight then you have Bitdefender which is quite popular but that will just further confuse you. Stick with smiple mindset with these softwares. Almost all the main stream antivirus are good to keep you safe provided that you are cautious enough too.

If you ask me to recommend I will again and again say Avast as that is what I'm happy and familiar with. Someone else will suggest something else. I have been on your shows with my old computer with cpu usage. So Avast is like that, good cpu usage limit with good antivirus system and a good UI, perfect combination.

werberman

Estimable
Jun 17, 2014
AVG. Simple. Years ago, AVG became a beast of a program similar to Norton, so I switched to Avast, but now Avast is slow and AVG is finally back to the sleek efficiency it once had. Either way, you only need one. DON'T install more than that, it just slows your system down and does no tangible good. Regardless of what you pick, just avoid Norton like the plague - it's horrifically slow.

ComputerWhiz305

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014
Although many people may recommend it, I do not recommend Norton. I used it for a year and found that it was pretty taxing on the computer's CPU and that sometimes it will cause performance issues. This is also the same reason that I do not recommend McAfee.

I personally use Webroot. It is great and the licenses are fairly cheap.

Webroot: http://www.webroot.com/ca/en/

I don't recommend using a free antivirus because they don't always provide the best level of protection from the latest threats.

splunge

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
I've read that MSE protects Internet Explorer better than other browsers. As I use Chrome more, I was disuaded from MSE. I do not claim to be an expert.

I found this memory test of 25 antivirus programs https://www.raymond.cc/blog/which-free-antivirus-is-the-lightest-on-system-memory-usage/2/ It was psoted April 2013, so I don't know how curent it is

qqamresh

Estimable
Jun 2, 2014
Go for a combination of any free or paid AV with running malwarebytes occasionally. IF your going for a paid one I would recommend quick heal. They have a robust after support system. Free; you could go for avast as many have recommended or kaspersky even.

Status
Not open for further replies.