AntiSec Releases 90,000 Military Email Logins

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]JUST HIRE THEM ALREADY! LOOK AT THESE GUYS! THEY WALTZ THROUGH EXPERT CYBERSECURITY FIRMS AND STEAL THEIR DATA!I want people THAT capable being in charge of cibersecurity, SO HIRE THEM ALREADY![/citation]

So, you want the guys responsible for the equivalent of a B&E to have access to internal systems so they can destroy the US from the INSIDE? Did you miss the part where they called us, the "US Empire"? They don't like the US... why the hell would we hire them?

If they get caught, the US will demand that they be extradited from wherever they are, and they'll be in prison.

Honestly, I'm kind of sick of all the internet vigilantes. There's a reason why it's illegal in the real world. A random group of individuals shouldn't have complete authority over the internet. Ironically, these hackers have less moral values than the companies and governments that they've been attacking. Hell, they don't even have any type of ROE... they metaphorically "shoot through the hostages to kill the enemy".

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]jsc[/nom]Yep. The first time I saw one, I thought they were kind of neat - way smarter than my old ID card.My vote would be for the TSA and the BATF.[/citation]

Why the BATF? (Unless you're referring to the totally botched "fast and furious" project... they need a kick in the nuts for that)

G

Where are the white hats! I guess the pro hackers always find the dark side more lucrative

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]The point is this is a private group doing this for free.. Imagine what a group of hackers being funded by terrorist or another goverment could do...[/citation]
Steal more email accounts i would guess...

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Why not Interpol? That would get you access of the most corrupt organizations the world has ever seen.

80+ countries participate in it, seems like a good target to me.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]I wish they wouldn't publish military email ids and passwords though, because most of them would be normal soldiers i guess, who've nothing to do with all this...[/citation]
Yup. They're putting the lives of the soldiers and their families at risk. With a little research, it's not hard to link an email to a name, and then pretty easy to link the name + email to a real person unless they've done a good job policing the info the put on the web. We've all seen what 4chan can do when someone messes with them.

A soldiers' protection is anonymity. Talk to a sniper and they say they'd rather eat a grenade than get captured. Snipers aren't treated nicely. Why? Because the people who captured them know exactly who it was killed their buddy. Terrorists have actually put bounties out for apache pilots. Compare the names of known snipers/pilots/etc to people found on the list and you have a target. The family of John Doe the mechanic might be targeted just because he has the same name as John Doe the sniper.

Yet people still hail them as heroes.

G

I'm officially neutrel at this point b/c who knows really... it could have been bait. Anyway, I will wonder if a US citizen hacking the US govt or companies contracted by the us govt might find themselves guilty of treason, and punishable by death.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
The French arm of Anonymous, also part of AntiSec, revealed shortly after the BAH breach that it published the details of regional organizers for the "French Nazi party," or rather, the French far-right party Front National. Published details included the organizers' phone numbers and home addresses which were obtained from within the party's own computer systems.

Why target that particular political party? Did someone pay you well, perhaps?

G

[citation][nom]wild9[/nom]Why target that particular political party? Did someone pay you well, perhaps?[/citation]

its perfectly plausible that those french citizens of anon/anti-sec, all shared a dislike for a french nazi party, and felt like doing it

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
enemies of the state, glad to see they declared war and stated their side, i'd have no problems plinking one of these bastards between the eyes with out even blinking.
they chose their side now they can pay the piper's ultimate price when they are found.
war is hell and war has no rules.
§ 2388. Activities affecting armed forces during war
(a) Whoever, when the United States is at war, willfully makes or conveys false reports or false statements with intent to interfere with the operation or success of the military or naval forces of the United States or to promote the success of its enemies; or
Whoever, when the United States is at war, willfully causes or attempts to cause insubordination, disloyalty, mutiny, or refusal of duty, in the military or naval forces of the United States, or willfully obstructs the recruiting or enlistment service of the United States, to the injury of the service or the United States, or attempts to do so—
Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.
(b) If two or more persons conspire to violate subsection (a) of this section and one or more such persons do any act to effect the object of the conspiracy, each of the parties to such conspiracy shall be punished as provided in said subsection (a).
(c) Whoever harbors or conceals any person who he knows, or has reasonable grounds to believe or suspect, has committed, or is about to commit, an offense under this section, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.
(d) This section shall apply within the admiralty and maritime jurisdiction of the United States, and on the high seas, as well as within the United States.

for a crack smoker with only one brain cell left, Jr. had it right " you're either with us, or you're against us." " you can run, but you can't hide forever"
Minnesota Wi-Fi hacker gets 18 years in prison for terrorizing neighbors (who is a lawyer, lulz)
http://news.yahoo.com/minnesota-wi-fi-hacker-gets-18-years-prison-032803295.html
18 years for what this clown did isn't enough.

hanrak

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
So they are also making a political statement here attacking right wing rather than remaining neutral which I thought they were. Off topic but there also happens to be a battle going on in France which has caused a massive swing to far right politics just as in England and most of Europe. Far left wing groups are just as bad and the Anarchy side to that will no doubt be appealing to these hackers.

I used to support these guys, going after big evil corporations, but now they are making a political stance, no way.

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]I wish they wouldn't publish military email ids and passwords though, because most of them would be normal soldiers i guess, who've nothing to do with all this...[/citation]

It's a dick move to put the innocent at risk, but it does give a shocking heads-up to the organization who is supposed to be safeguarding this information, and the government that that has entrusted this information to the outsourced company. It's better that this happens now before something worse gets hacked and then we have a world war on our hands.

It is also proof that they actually have the information, versus saying "Oh hey, we have 90,000 email addresses, but we're not actually going to show you". It's more threatening.

G

Oh course they have no additional comments on the matter they have been pwned at their own game and the united states government instead of contracting the work out to the best business instead contracted out the work to someone they know or are otherwise affiliated with and now their chickens are coming home to roost. As long as the united states federal government continues its imperialistic practice of policing the world they will be a target of hackers and terrorists as they are terrorists themselves. Lulz antisec keep up the good work in the future it would not be a bad idea to just commendeer their hardware and lock them out of it as well to show their employeers just how bad they are at their jobs.

hanrak

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
[citation][nom]jumpingeebus[/nom]Oh course they have no additional comments on the matter they have been pwned at their own game and the united states government instead of contracting the work out to the best business instead contracted out the work to someone they know or are otherwise affiliated with and now their chickens are coming home to roost. As long as the united states federal government continues its imperialistic practice of policing the world they will be a target of hackers and terrorists as they are terrorists themselves. Lulz antisec keep up the good work in the future it would not be a bad idea to just commendeer their hardware and lock them out of it as well to show their employeers just how bad they are at their jobs.[/citation]

Im not american but do you have any idea of the amount of people over the world the american government have saved over the years( financially and through force)? They are no angles and sure there are motives but you seriously need to read history and facts instead of reading ridicules conspiracy theory forums.
I honestly hope the US stops aid and policing everyone and brings all her money home, she needs it now as well. See what shit hole the world becomes then.

Status
Not open for further replies.