any reliable and secure apps to keep a full record of logins and passwords?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Is there any reliable and secure apps to keep a full record of logins and passwords.

In our daily life there are just too many logins and passwords to remember. I have

got several bank accounts and today I forgot the login password of an account and

have to go to nearest branch for reset which is very inconvenient. It often happens

especially after change of password. I often tend to remember the old passwords only..

Solution
Keepass is pretty legitimate. It's FOSS, and on top of that you can make use of a web app called Keewebpass (based on the aforementioned application) if you wish to do so. Keepass is an offline version though, and supports most modern security standards regarding such things.

Lastpass is also a very big name, with both a web app and a desktop application available.

Keep in mind though that the best security is always the security you have full control over, so if it's going to be holding anything particularly sensitive I would suggest keeping it all offline on an encrypted USB or similar.

As a tip for helping with passwords: You can get really secure passwords that are memorable by basing them on stuff you are familiar with but only...

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
Write them down. Either in a small notepad, or an electronic version of the same. You don't need an app for this.

Remember, of course, you have to update your records religiously, and if you store the record on an electronic device, such as a smart phone or computer, it's only as secure as you are with that device. If other people have access to it, or you're likely to lose your phone, you may want to reconsider keeping all of your login information there.

canadianvice

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2012
Keepass is pretty legitimate. It's FOSS, and on top of that you can make use of a web app called Keewebpass (based on the aforementioned application) if you wish to do so. Keepass is an offline version though, and supports most modern security standards regarding such things.

Lastpass is also a very big name, with both a web app and a desktop application available.

Keep in mind though that the best security is always the security you have full control over, so if it's going to be holding anything particularly sensitive I would suggest keeping it all offline on an encrypted USB or similar.

As a tip for helping with passwords: You can get really secure passwords that are memorable by basing them on stuff you are familiar with but only you'd know. Try and stay away from subjective things, though. Make sure that if anyone were to come up to you and say the prompt, it'd bring only one thing to mind. My password prompt is attached to my monitor, but I know the only source of the necessary information to understand what it contextualizes lies with me.

And if they have me tied up with a wrench, I think at that point there are larger problems in my life.

Solution