Antivirus that works with Windows 10 and Bitdefender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxence822

Estimable
Nov 20, 2014
Hello everyone!
So I installed the Windows 10 Technical Preview yesterday and I realized my Bitdefender antivirus does not function correctly with Windows 10. So I rolled back to 8.1 and I am wondering if any free antivirus would work with both Windows 10 and Bitdefender while I test out the Windows 10 beta.
Thank you,
Maxence

Solution
Here is the list of compatible antivirus software for Windows 10 Technical Preview which also works with Bitdefender.

 AVG Free Antivirus
 Immunet free antivirus
 Avira Free Antivirus 2015
 360 Total Security
 McAfee Total Protection
 ESET Endpoint Security

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
no it wont work with bitdefender together

totally free--avast--though havent tried it on windows 10 yet

i put in norton 30 day trial and its just running out so havent tried others yet with windows 10

though installing bitdefender in compatibility mode for 8 or 8.1 may work

Sophiasoni

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
Here is the list of compatible antivirus software for Windows 10 Technical Preview which also works with Bitdefender.

 AVG Free Antivirus
 Immunet free antivirus
 Avira Free Antivirus 2015
 360 Total Security
 McAfee Total Protection
 ESET Endpoint Security

Solution

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
I know I'm late on this, but this needs to be re-answered...

There's a reason why computer guys will tell you to never run multiple antiviruses. If you choose to ignore it, you'll likely suffer from conflicting AVs, or worse... poor protection. AVs work on a thing called "filter drivers," in order to help aid in catching processes/etc.. By installing multiple AVs, you're then installing multiple filter drivers, which slows down scan speeds, and causes nothing but problems. There is really no such thing as "compatibility" when you are talking about running multiple AV wares.

People genuinely need to stop purporting this fallacy. This is not only coming from me, but it also has come from a guy who worked at Microsoft for a number of years, as a programmer, and he wasn't a low level employee... Tech Talk #55, starting at 28:15. Watch the first few minutes from where I linked it, and it will explain part of what I'm saying.

The real problem you face is that filter drivers need to be as minimal as possible, if you want your AV to function correctly.

acmeal

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015

I'm using Bitdefender FREE on my WIN 10 now. No problem at all. Quiet and scans and does updates ok.

:)

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

AVG has constantly been an under-performer. While it meets the industry standard, Avast protects you better than AVG... and Avast is highly problematic for actual real world protection.Comodo's AV has always been a complete joke; enough said there. Even PC Mag has rated their protection as low. Avast is a terrible AV solution for most, as it doesn't protect you very well, and constantly will give you false alerts for "malicious" software packages.McAfee is decent, for what it does catch; however, there is really no reason to even use it. It's quite a low performer.

Avira is probably the only one on taht list that really protects you.

spaceshipcowboy

Estimable
Mar 16, 2014

Avira works with only with windows firewall. If you prefer something else like myself avira will give you error messages saying you are not protected.

spaceshipcowboy

Estimable
Mar 16, 2014
those are terrible choices. avg free is too resource hungry wants to take over your system, comodo antivirus I would not recommend, avira only works with windows firewall, avast is good but still to many bugs worked well in windows 7 and McAfee is like malicious malware that wants to install itself even if you dont want it and didnt ask for it.

Summoned to adjudicate on a complaint about a post, I find it fair comment.

I also find it odd that no-one has suggested leaving the embedded MS utilities Security Essentials and Windows Defender. My theory is Windows gets hacked MS get to find it, track it down and fix it. At what stage do you think they bother to phone around Norton, McAfee Grisoft et al?

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
It's pretty difficult to "leave" MSE... You can disable it, but removing it entirely would be an enormous PITA, and could probably break the ToU signed with Windows just by installing your OS. Sadly, changing the OS very much can easily result in a lawsuit.

Jan 17, 2016
This is a reminder on the question rather than an answer - what is the current state with Windows 10 compatible antiviral programs?

Few days ago I noticed some unusual lags on my laptop. In such cases I usually just ran the most recent combofix, but it does not work with 10, so I installed newest avast trial. It found several bitcoin miners, so I left it running. After that, Start, Search and Action center stopped reacting several times. Each time I managed to repair it with sfc but it occurred again and again. Naturally I had a suspect, and indeed as soon as I uninstalled avast the problem disappeared with it.

So what is the current antivirus for Windows 10? I mean not speculations, who has at least a couple of weeks of experience?

Windows Defender does it for me and the hundred or so of my customers who've been upgraded to W10.

That said, this is an old thread so to continue on this theme, please copy and paste your post into a new thread. I'll PM it to you if you can't copy it because this thread is now being closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.