Any good 2015 free antivirus software ?

Ghost_1080p

Estimable
Mar 29, 2015
Hello PC Experts i just finished my building my PC and i want to know are there any good antivirus protection program i should download ? Im mainly going to be using my PC for gaming and web browsing and i want to be safe. Im coming from the console platform and i don't know a lot about which antivirus program is good. On my old PC my sister clicked on a pop up about a month ago, and every time i went on the internet i would constantly get a message pop up saying that my computer is infected and to call my internet provider, but instead i downloaded Norton Internet security 20 day trial and it removed all the viruses but it also removed a few game mods from my old star wars battlefront 2 game. And i want to know are all the free anti virus software the same ? Like if i were to download something and before i open it, will the antivirus scan it before i open the file like Norton internet security does ? My asrock H97m Pro4 motherboard came the drivers CD with a Norton Internet security program but my friend said to not download it because it will make your computer run slower because its running in the back ground and to download another free antivirus program off the Windows website. Also is AVG or Avast antivirus any good ?

WildCard999

Honorable
Jul 18, 2014
AVG/Avast are good and Malwarebytes is excellent for anti-malware. If you use AVG you may need to add scanning exceptions for a few games like Tera as it will think its malware and delete some of the files and make the game unplayable.

lullemannen90

Estimable
Mar 22, 2014
If you want to see which antivirus are good you can check a site like http://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/. Personally I like Bitdefender, it got high scores, it's light weight and has no annoying commercial pop ups. Just like WildCard999 says I have also had trouble with AVG saying that games are viruses, for me it was Insurgency. And use Malwarebytes too, if it doesn't find any viruses, you probably don't have any.

Theminecraftaddict555

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014
Malwarebytes free or Premium (free Premium licenses for Malwarebytes are all over the internet and I will not provide you one)....Then Avast! with hardened mode on or Bitdefender...Since both seem very reliable...Especially with Malwarebytes

Note: no one suggest MSE nuff said

PapaWood

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
I really like the Microsoft Security Essentials, seems to work very well, I use that with Malwarebytes except I paid for it, I think its worth it when its a company that works hard and tries hand and keeps bloat out even in the free products.

Theminecraftaddict555

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014

Just to ask Isn't windows defender built into the windows OS a clone of MSE? o_O

Also I'm not sure if MSE is reliable according to many reports..You can take a look at tom's review on it and other sources
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/windows-defender,review-2209.html
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1926596,00.asp
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/security-essentials/1000270/microsoft-security-essentials-windows-defender-2015-review

Again feel free to correct me

lullemannen90

Estimable
Mar 22, 2014

Windows Defender comes built in on Windows 8/8.1, and I do think they are basically the same. Except for that you can't install MSE on Windows 8/8.1, only on the older OS's. It is know to be one of the worst antivirus programs, but if you got common sense and is a bit careful, you can pare Windows Defender (if you are on Windows 8) with Malwarebytes, and your PC will not be slowed down as it gets with other programs. You might want to scan more often with Malwarebytes if you have Windows Defender than with any ohter antivirus program, just to be on the safe side.

Theminecraftaddict555

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014

Luckily I don't have windows defender and I just have to scan every month or so and malwarebytes and Avast always detects non-malware or non-virus infections and rather three or two PUPS

TRENDING THREADS