Any Nandup users?

G

I have this really weird problem in Nandup. But before that, can anybody tell me;

1) Does this variable bitrate stuff really works? I mean, can anyone give me a comparison between a FlaskMPEG and Nandup coded movie? I have ripped a movie from DVD (Dante's Peak). In FlaskMPEG I use bitrate of 1500 and end up with a AVI file of 1.1Gig. When I use Nandup, can I expect a reduction of about 30%. That should be of course without loosing too much quality.

And my question is; I followed many guides about Nandup but whatever I do, Nandup generates a gigantic temp avi file, about 180Gig. At least this is shown on the expected project output size box. Of course after 4Gig, windows gives error saying no file can be bigger than 4Gig. It doesn't matter whether I choose first or second pass or "Save as AVI" or tick the "No AVI output" option.

Is it normal that before DivX encoding Nandup says "You are using hacked encoding. You might end up with unexpected results"?

I donno. I think I should go back to FlaskMPEG. Are there any other variable rate encoders?

Regards,

<font color=blue>Get a T-Bird...
Impressive CPU + House heater in one package. What do you need more?</font color=blue>

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've tried to help many people on the topic of video conversion. My friends have all givin up and they just let me do it for them. The learning curve is steep but once you do a few you can do them without instructions. I thought I was gonna die when I first learned how to use Graphedit but now it seems like common sense. If it was too easy everybody could do it! Did you try that 2 passes in one shift F 8 or 9 thing? If you can't figure it out don't feel too bad. I did about 20 movies in Flask before switching to FU. I hated Nandub at first (as you could see by reading some of my old posts in this section) but Nandub grows on you and is now my second favorite. Nandub will work somtimes when FU will not.

Remember if you ain't Muslim you ain't Shiite.

G

I appreciate your help lakedude :)

I found a better solution for my problem. There is a 15MB avi file. I exercise on it for different bit rates and other options.

Yesterday I finished the two pass FlaskMPEG process and guess what, the size is doubled compared to single pass 1500 bitrate coding :) :) :)

I think I have to experiment more on this stuff...

Impressive CPU + House heater in one package. What do you need more?</font color=blue>

G

if you're looking for a really easy (almost foolproof) way to rip your DVD's and convert them with very good quality and PREDICTABLE file size you should try the program 'FairUse'.

it really works well. I have never used Flask anymore since I tried it.

Only minus is that it takes the whole night to run on your PC (12hours+ on an 1.2Ghz Athlon are the rule with 5 streams and 110min movie length). but you can be sure you only let it run the movie once and the result is better than your FLASKed rip and fits on one CD (or two depending how long the movie is).

respect!

G

Yeah, I tried the FairUse but the problem is, it never completed the encoding. Always gave me a memory error when it reached to about 30%. The ripping goes fine, but the encoding, doesn't work on me.

BTW, my specs are:

Abit KG7
T-Bird 1GHz (266FSB), no O/C
256MB DDR RAM (Samsung)
RAID 0 setup with IBM 40 Gig + Quantum 39Gig
Win2000

Maybe there is a problem with Win2K and FairUse, or FairUse + RAID. Donno...

Regards,

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree with NermDude as I also use Fair Use. Have you tried FU on more then one movie(you could have a bad rip)? Is your system stable? Is the DVD in good shape? I have several sources for DVDs and the one with the best selection has the worst quality. I ahem buy my used DVDs from a low volume store so the DVD is still in good shape when I ahem buy it. Fair Use has (knock wood) never failed me in as many as 50 conversions but I don't get movies from the big store anymore either. I did have problems with Flask and Nandub but that was also when I was getting scratched up DVDs. I've settled in on the low volume store, Fair Use, Lame MP3 at 112kbs and single cdr output (unless the movie is over 3 hours or I'm being really picky). Some folks love Nandub and lots are using 2cdrs. They are not wrong as excellent results can be obtained this way but for me it is FU all the way. FU!

Nerm, Why 5 streams? I'm using the auto4, is 5 way better?

Remember if you ain't Muslim you ain't Shiite.

G

5 streams give the cross-cuter more choice. not absolut sure if it really brings noticable more quality but it surely doesn't hurt and I don't care really if it takes 14+ hours. my machine is always on and FU runs happily in the background.

@ ilker:
which FairUse version are you using, 0.26 or 0.30?
is the memory error the only error in the stats window or are there any other error msgs prior to it?
I run FairUse0.30beta under win2k and win98se w/o problems.
your system specs look ok. maybe a driver problem?

respect!

TRENDING THREADS