Any OS recommendation for my Aspire One Netbook?

limb0ist

Estimable
Aug 4, 2014
I have an Acer Aspire One Netbook. I really love my Netbook however, Windows 8.1 and 10 caused my pc to slow down like heck.
Do you have any recommendations for a good Os to be installed. Anything to make this pc run some movies, finish some homeworks?

Solution
Well limb0ist,
If you like they way windows "feels" as an overall OS, then Downgrade to Windows 7. from personal experience, Windows 8 is great, if your laptop/computer is more tablet than computer. Windows 10 is great for the people that only use their computer for general life tasks and don't really care for gaming, large downloading, and prefer ease of use over performance, stability, and reliability. Windows 7 is for anyone that needs Performance, stability, reliability, and an intuitive UI, not a "dumbed down" UI. (personal opinions FYI)

If you don't care for Windows, then Linux is great, Ubuntu for newer Linux users, Archlinux for the seasoned linux users, SteamOS for only playing Steam games, etc... but you will have less...

Alex The Magician

Estimable
Dec 10, 2015
Well limb0ist,
If you like they way windows "feels" as an overall OS, then Downgrade to Windows 7. from personal experience, Windows 8 is great, if your laptop/computer is more tablet than computer. Windows 10 is great for the people that only use their computer for general life tasks and don't really care for gaming, large downloading, and prefer ease of use over performance, stability, and reliability. Windows 7 is for anyone that needs Performance, stability, reliability, and an intuitive UI, not a "dumbed down" UI. (personal opinions FYI)

If you don't care for Windows, then Linux is great, Ubuntu for newer Linux users, Archlinux for the seasoned linux users, SteamOS for only playing Steam games, etc... but you will have less choice when it comes to software. Most Windows software is not backwards compatible with Linux, to use a Windows program on a Linux machine, You will most likely go through stressful hours of fiddling with Wine (Wine Is Not an Emulator), which gets increasingly more difficult depending on what type of program your trying to use.

The good thing is that almost all general/everyday software you use on windows (chrome, word, powerpoint, video player, paint, etc...) has an opensource (free) counterpart in Linux (chromium, libreOffice, Gimp, etc...) as well as some that, i personally feel, are improved versions of namebrand products.

TLDR: Windows 7 if you know more than the average person when it comes to computers, Linux (ubuntu is a good start) if you know enough about computers to be considered a "nerd" or dont mind learning more about computers and OS's.

Hope this helped!

Solution

PassMark

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2004
I had one of these Acer Netbooks. They were small and cute, but really underpowered (even by the standards of 6 years ago).

How much RAM have you got in yours. If you want to keep it, then max out the RAM. I think the max was 4GB of RAM. Then dump the slow HDD that came with it and put in a SSD instead.

With 4GB of RAM and a SSD, Win7, 8 or 10 will run just fine.

Tyson_007

Commendable
Sep 11, 2016
Hey i have a question i have an old aspire one KAV10 . i heard that they have boot locks on them to keep you from putting anything but the windows xp boot on it .... i need a hand trying to get this thing to work and be a kodi machine at least or have the ability to be a remote control point and video stream device ..

Emil Cristian

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016

ArchOne is the answer. You can download this Arch Linux distro, specifically taylored for Acer Aspire One, from SourceForge.