Anyone got a Vive running with AMD processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua_80

Commendable
May 17, 2016
I've been having issues getting my Vive up and running for almost a month now. I'm pretty sure it's a conflict with the USB ports on my brand new MSI gaming 970. I'm using an AMD FX-8350 processor. What I'm looking for is someone who has a fully functioning Vive setup so they can tell me what AMD compatible motherboard they are using so I can purchase the same board in hopes that it finally fixes my issues.

brennon7

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Sorry man, i have mine up and running on an old x58 1366 set up, x5670 @4ghz, 12gb ram, and a gtx 970, for usb 3.0 I'm using a pci usb 3.0 card. Hats off to Best Buy and their return policy, yes I only bought the gtx 970 today to run it for 10 days then return it when the gtx 1080 is out. I'm a bad customer.

Joshua_80

Commendable
May 17, 2016

Thanks for the answer, but unfortunately that's an Intel processor. I'm not looking to buy a new CPU, I don't have that kind of money now that I've dropped $3,000 into building a new rig that won't work with the Vive.

brennon7

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
I would try a usb 3.0 pci card. they are like $15-20.00 USD dollars before buying another motherboard. Could always return it if it doesn't solve your usb issue. Do you have Steam VR installed? How does your rig perform on the steam VR performance test?

Joshua_80

Commendable
May 17, 2016
I've actually tried 3 pci cards, one being the Inatech that is recommended on the Steam VR support page. I do have Steam VR installed, and my rig is halfway into the green.

Geekwad

Estimable
Sep 25, 2015
I had it running on my FX8350, but it has a Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z. Have you ensured that all drivers for your board are updated (check device manager for alerts)? What about BIOS? With that board I can see some versions did update USB 3.0 functionality specifically.

Also, are you using HDMI or miniDP? What GPU are you using, and have you tried that option?

Joshua_80

Commendable
May 17, 2016

Thanks, that's a nice board and I'd jump on it, but it's a little out of my budget at the moment. Hopefully someone else can chime in here. As far as your questions, I've checked that all my drivers are up to date to the best of my ability. I've used MSI's site and downloaded the most current available items from there and all that. I'm not sure if there's a way to ...deep update things like the usb ports, I'm not sure who manufactured the ports themselves for the board and if they have something like that available. Bios is up to date as well.

As far as my video options, I'm running an EVGA GTX 970. I've used HDMI, miniDP to DP, and hdmi to dvi. None of this has worked.

Geekwad

Estimable
Sep 25, 2015
Hmmmm.....are you seeing any errors of any kind, or just simply not working? No screen response whatsoever? Can you describe in a bit more detail, if possible, what you're seeing or not seeing?

Joshua_80

Commendable
May 17, 2016
Steam VR reports the 108 error, which says the headset can't be found. I have a red light on the headset at all times. I've done all kinds of things to get it to work in the time I've had it, but it just won't detect it properly. I know that the HMD is in working order. I've shown myself this two ways. One, if I uninstall the gefore drivers, my computer detects the headset as a second display. I can not use it for anything other than a blurry mess of my desktop this way. Two, if I disconnect the orange set of cables (HMD to linkbox), and then take the other set of cables (linkbox to PC), flip them around so that the end of the cable with the tag is plugged into the PC and the other end directly into the headset, it will detect just fine and work with steamVR. However it's impossible to use with a 1 meter cord.

Naturally this led me to believe that it was an issue with the linkbox, so I RMA'd it. HTC sent me one back, and the issue persists. This leads me to wonder if the cable it's self isn't bad. Now I've RMA'd it as well. It should be back soon, but in the meantime I've tested replacing them with other cables of like type, and those don't work either.

I've also talked to steam support about the issue. They say in the report that I sent them that there's another controller on my usbs that is causing a conflict. The only things I have hooked up via usb is my keyboard, mouse, and vive. I tried 3 mice since then, and 2 additional keyboards. That didn't change anything. Now they are just telling me to use USBDEVVIEW, but I've already tried it 100's of times.

To make matters even more complicated, I've also used it with another computer, and the same issues are there too. I've installed, uninstalled, reinstalled windows 7 and 10 ten times over now, trying to get this to work. The only conclusion I can come to is it's got to be this damned motherboard.

Geekwad

Estimable
Sep 25, 2015
Which USB 3.0 ports have you tried it in? Just the two rears, or have you tried front too (is front USB header hooked up even)?

Also, you may try disconnecting the front header (if in use), and then just use rear with K/M in 2.0 slots.

(((really just trouble-shooting here)))

The linkbox does seem like it is in conflict with something as you explain the narrowing process, and is quite interesting that it works bypassing the linkbox (which I hadn't even tried until you mentioned it).

And just to be sure......you've definitely verified that the onboard USB 3.0 controller is set to 'enabled' in the advanced BIOS settings menu?

Joshua_80

Commendable
May 17, 2016

I've tried every single USB port on the motherboard (8 of them), the two ports on my case, and the 3 different PCI-e cards. I uninstalled the drivers and rebooted the system every time I changed ports as well. I've also tried it with and without the front USB header connected. No dice.

Thankfully the USB controller settings on my motherboard are very basic, and I've tried every configuration possible. I ended up needing to reset the CMOS a couple of times even.

Geekwad

Estimable
Sep 25, 2015
Goodness......I'm frustrated for you now!

How about other versions of the Geforce drivers? Have you tried other versions or rolling any of them back? Again, because it works (though not properly).....I don't think it is the motherboard per se. If it was, it wouldn't work or detect in your other two cases (no driver, or bypassing the linkbox), so feel it is software/firmware related somehow.

I will continue to noodle this, and may look into it more in depth this weekend. I do have a 970A chipset board in the closet, so am now interested to see if I can duplicate the issue. What is the model number of your GPU too? I'll let you know if I find anything out, but am interested to know if your new cord does anything.......

Joshua_80

Commendable
May 17, 2016

There's been at least 4 different versions of the Geforce drivers that I've tried. The exact model of my GPU is, via amazon listing, "EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC Gaming ACX 2.0+ Cooling Graphics Card(04G-P4-3975-KR)". I'll update when the cord arrives.

Joshua_80

Commendable
May 17, 2016

Yeah, I just got off the live support chat. Already got my RMA ticket. I'm going to send it out today. I'll check back in with this post next week when it returns.

RealBboy360

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
I used to have a 8350, always had problems with nvidia and AMD so I would use the on-board graphics. I saw VR coming out a while ago so I made my switch to Intel and skylake. Good thing was that the hard drive still worked with different processor and MB.

I'd probably try to use AMD video card, or go to intel.

zaxbysauce

Honorable
May 14, 2012

I've been running my Vive when in the living room on my spare box with no problems. It's a FX 4350, 8 gigs of RAM, and. 970. So hopefully this RMA will fix it because the processor is highly unlikely to be the culprit given I'm using one with 4 fewer cores.

paulewills1

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.