Anyone got a Vive running with AMD processor?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua_80

Commendable
May 17, 2016
I've been having issues getting my Vive up and running for almost a month now. I'm pretty sure it's a conflict with the USB ports on my brand new MSI gaming 970. I'm using an AMD FX-8350 processor. What I'm looking for is someone who has a fully functioning Vive setup so they can tell me what AMD compatible motherboard they are using so I can purchase the same board in hopes that it finally fixes my issues.

Joshua_80

Commendable
May 17, 2016

It's not the processor I'm worried about, it's the motherboard. I'm hoping to get suggestions to replace my current mobo with one that someone else is using so I know that particular model works for sure.

Joshua_80

Commendable
May 17, 2016

I've made sure they are updated.

3ogdy

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009

MSI motherboards....meh. That must be part of the problem. I'd go with a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 / R2.0 GEN3 if I were you.

You could reinstalling Windows and seeing fi that fixes any possible issues. You'd have to install Windows, drivers and then whatever software your headset comes with. Nothing else. If the problem persists, you may either want to connect it to a different computer to see if it reacts how it's supposed to , or...if there's a problem with the USB ports on your motherboard, you could get a PCI(-E) USB card to see if that changes anything. I'd bet on the motherboard, but I'd consider cheaper possible fixes first.

Memhorder

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
"To make matters even more complicated, I've also used it with another computer, and the same issues are there too. I've installed, uninstalled, reinstalled windows 7 and 10 ten times over now, trying to get this to work. "

Does this mean you've swapped the GPU and tried another computer? I'd say it's the headset based on this.

Joshua_80

Commendable
May 17, 2016

Yes, you're correct.

Thorfkin

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
My Vive works correctly. Here's my system specs: AMD FX-8320 CPU. Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 motherboard - http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R20/ . I also had the 108 error at first. it turned out to be an issue with the video card. I was using a displayport cord and for some reason it didn't like it. I switched to a displayport to hdmi converter. That cleared it up.

Thorfkin

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
My previous post was a bit light on details. On further reflection I felt I should provide more specifics for anyone else building a Steam VR machine around AMD hardware.

CPU: AMD FX-8320. Currently clocked at 4.4ghz
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Ram: 16GB G-Skill Trident X DDR3 @1866 Mhz
Graphics: Asus Radeon Fury X

My graphics card has one HDMI port and three Displayports. The HDMI port was already connected to my receiver (home theater setup) so when my Vive arrived I hooked the linkbox up to one of the graphics card's Displayports using a Displayport to Mini-Displayport cable. However that setup wouldn't work for some reason. It kept throwing error 108 when I ran Steam VR. Originally I thought the problem was related to the USB ports on the machine but for the sake of being thorough I decided to connect the linkbox to the HDMI port. Doing so cleared up the 108 error I was getting. Apparently the linkbox doesn't like my Displayports. Since the headset works correctly using the HDMI port, I got a Displayport to HDMI cable and connected my home theater to that rather than directly to the HDMI port. Everything seems to work now.

I've had some intermittent issues with the USB 3.0 ports on the motherboard. Several times the headset locked up and Steam VR started throwing error 208, indicating the headset was detected but not tracking. Since the headset relays tracking information to the PC over USB I suspect it may be an issue with the Sabertooth's ASMedia USB 3.0 controller. Rebooting the machine has consistently cleared this up. It's only happened 3 times so far so might just be new hardware break-in. This motherboard has always been a little testy so it's hard to say for sure. I also have the machine overclocked and timed very tightly so that may also have contributed to the intermittent issues.

Spent the last week playing with VR demos and pre-order games. Just today I finally got Elite Dangerous to work in VR. Still learning to play the game =D Hope this helps for anyone else doing the same.

Joshua_80

Commendable
May 17, 2016

Awesome, thank you.

wjones40

Estimable
Aug 8, 2015

The problem may be your graphics card. Here's a link you might take a look at:
http://www.octopusrift.com/building-a-vr-pc/

kitekrazy1963

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010

For future reference if you dropped that much go Intel instead of AMD. AMD is great for budget builds.

Joshua_80

Commendable
May 17, 2016

I wasn't planning to spend that much. I had a motherboard, so I just upgraded the CPU. Then it turned out that the motherboard didn't work with the vive, so I upgraded it, and the new one still doesn't work with it.

XpJAY

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
Does this mean you have received your RMEed Vive and still having the same issue? Did I miss that post? Other wise, the MB might work just fine. MSI makes good stuff, though I haven't tried their MB, but I would definitely get one. I would only consider ASUS, Gigabyte, or MSI myself. MB or video card. That's just me. Not saying there isn't other quality stuff out there. I have 2 MSI R9 390s and love them. They have awesome service.
Your rig should be good to go hardware wise for the Vive. I would look at graphics driver and or settings. But like I said, maybe it was the Vive. Let us know.

wjones40

Estimable
Aug 8, 2015

Works fine with my AMD FX-8350 system. Here's what HTC says is the minimal requirement:
Thank you so much for contacting HTC VIVE support!

It's my pleasure to help you out on your inquiry, for us as HTC is awesome to know that you are interested in our new product, the VIVE.
Walter, to use Vive, your computer must meet the following recommended minimum system requirements.
GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 970, AMD Radeon™ R9 290 equivalent or better
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-4590/AMD FX™ 8350 equivalent or better
RAM: 4 GB or more
Video output: HDMI 1.4, DisplayPort 1.2 or newer
USB port: 1x USB 2.0 or better port
Operating system: Windows® 7 SP1, Windows® 8.1 or later, Windows® 10
Yes, that is a recommended configurtation.
If you want to know more if your computer fulfill the requirements here: https://www.htcvive.com/us/support/faqs/GUID-90C6B432-B804-4E4C-B203-957C2BF0E3EF.html
You will find really cool and helpful information for Vive: https://www.htcvive.com/us/support/
Thank you for patiently waiting and be part of this new Awesome product!
Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you I hope this information helped.
Thank you for choosing VIVE and welcome to the HTC Family! Have a wonderful day!

XpJAY

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011

Well he RMAed the whole thing. I guess it was ok because he never updated? Perhaps we should PM him lol I want to know also.

Memhorder

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014

Mee too.

Status
Not open for further replies.