Anyone know a program that shows where files are on DVD disk

DawnTreader777

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
the title pretty much says it all.

what i want is a program that will give me a visual image which highlights where specific files are on a CD or DVD disk. i need it to show me this in a visual format that allows me to then look at the recorded surface of the DVD or CD and judge if the reason a file is having errors in its sectors when read is due to a physical defect with the disc.

i know this seems like a waste of time, but i am having a lot of trouble lately with some DVD discs and would like to know if i cant track the problem to a physical reason.

if anyone knows of a program that does this sort of thing i would appreciate a link to it or at least the name of the program. thanks.

G

When it comes to the surface of a cd/dvd dont know if there is a way to view track integrity for flaws. However there is a neat device called Skip Doctor. Here is a link for details;

http://www.digitalinnovations.com/

This can fix a fair amount of scratches, fingerprints, dirt, etc. I have one and it works great. Dont know if this will help or not.

DawnTreader777

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
this has nothing to so with scratches unfortunately. it has to do with a CRC error. i want to know how to get these files off of disks and what might be causing them.

this device you point to is crap. i used one on a disk i had that was a scratch problem. it made it worse. it tore off the reflective coating from the opposite side of the disk. i lost my copy of MS office 2000 using this device. i would never recomend this junk to anyone.

thanks for the reply. i think i will have to just break down and buy a better DVDRW. plextors drive looks to be great! check this out:

http://www.computertimes.com/feb05edchoicePlextorPX-716SADVDburner.htm

Zoron

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Not to be argumentative or anything, but did you have the disc on correctly? These devices work by resurfacing the disc and if you have the disc on the wrong side, it's going to rub off the reflective layer instead of resurfacing the opposite side of the disc. Never, NEVER, ever scrub the label side of a CD/DVD.

As for CRC errors, try a program called Bad Copy Pro. I don't have the website off the top of my head, but it has worked great on hard drives and flash media.

DawnTreader777

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
i am sorry, i didnt mean to offend. k maybe the term opposite side of the disc wasnt clear. i know upside from downside of a disc, unlike my father :)

no i had it right. it wasnt a machine like this one, but a hand turned model. you had to use a little water and solution with it. somehow the gripping side of the device caused the "adhesiveness" of the label to come loose and tear off. i could see right through the disk! needless to say i havent even tried these devices since because i see no need, since usually i backup my original and use the back up as the disc to install things from.

anyways, again, sorry. thanks for the reply.

Zoron

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I have one myself and have used it successfully a few times. I like to avoid having to use it though, obviously... always afraid I'll do more harm than good.

trev07

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
8O :roll: :twisted: K dont know what you are after but if you want to get files of any dvd and burn them on another blank dvd then use dvd shrink :twisted: if having problems use a tool called DVD43 works very well with dvd shrink have not yet had a problem :twisted: