Anything better at this pricepoint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmerithew87

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
I was going to get a laptop a few months ago, but had to push it back a bit because of financial troubles. At the time I was looking at a Lenovo Z580. Currently the best deal for $550 or under is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215662 Stock OS isn't super important, I'm going to install Linux on it. It's mostly going to be used for web browsing and indie games. If the rumors about World of Warcraft getting a Linux port comes true that'll probably be the most demanding game. Ideally I'd like a dedicated graphics card, preferably Nvidia,because I've heard the Linux drivers are a bit better for Nvidia

Wisecracker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
I think you heard wrong. My understanding is Radeon drivers are open source, and nVidia drivers are closed.

This is why Linus said, PHRASE DELETED BY MODERATOR...NOT AGAIN PLEASE... nVidia."

jmerithew87

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008

You are correct about the quote, but ATI's open source drivers don't perform as well as their proprietary drivers, and Nvidia's proprietary perform much better than ATI's. I'm not sure if this is something that will change in the longterm, because I usually do prefer ATI products

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
I've heard the same. AMD better in OpenCL with 7xxx series, but their drivers for Linux leave much to be desired. They might have "open source" drivers for them, but it's also my understanding they won't reveal enough about the hardware for good drivers to be used.

As for your question I have no idea. Typically during that sale period you'll get the best deals.

jmerithew87

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any official benchmarks from a reliable source, because Linux gaming hasn't really started gaining ground until recently, and I don't have a computer at the moment to run any tests myself. Over on the Steam Linux forums a lot of the people that are having issues are using ATI graphics cards though.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/846940248705614457/

Status
Not open for further replies.