Apparently unlocked Motorola V551 seems only half-unlocked

oudeheis

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
Hello, All!

My wife has a Motorola V551 four-band GSM she wanted to take with her to Europe. AT&T mobile (formerly Cingular) kindly sent us the subsidy code to unlock it. I took it to a T-Mobile kiosk to unlock it, because supposedly only installing a foreign SIM would call up the menu to enter the subsidy unlock code. The representative put in his own TM SIM, but no menu came up, only a T-Mobile title. He tried entering the unlock code, but never got a visible menu, and the network wouldn't let him call. I wandered down to the other end of the mall to another T-Mobile kiosk where the guy put in his TM SIMM and was able to make calls. He was certain it meant the phone was already unlocked.

Now my wife is in Estonia with the phone and has purchased a new Estonian SIM there. With it she is able to make my phone ring in the USA, but no voices are transmitted. And then her screen goes black. Is there a way to call up the unlock menu and try to force it again? It is a four-band phone, could it be stuck on the wrong band?

We did the same procedure with my daughter's Blackberry and everything works as expected.

Thanks in advance for any help.