Apple Announces Apple TV, Three New iPods Designs, Social Network in iTunes

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
It must be, you just used it! What does it mean?

orientate
Also found in: Medical, Encyclopedia 0.01 sec.
o·ri·en·tate (ôr-n-tt, -n-, r-)
v. o·ri·en·tat·ed, o·ri·en·tat·ing, o·ri·en·tates
v.tr.
To orient: "He . . . stood for a moment, orientating himself exactly in the light of his knowledge" (John le Carré).
v.intr.
To face or turn to the east.

Oops maybe it is ;-)

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
I just downloaded that Epic Citadel App for my 3rd generation iPod touch. It's freak'n amazing! I had no idea that my iPod could do 3D so damn well. It must be even better on the retina display of the iPhone 4 and iPod Touch. I think there are a couple more Apple purchases in my future, dammit!

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
The only iPod that makes sense is the Touch, since it's basically an iPhone without the "phone" part. Why you'd want to carry around two large-ish devices in your pocket when you can just listen to music on your iPhone/Android device, I do not know.

The Nano screen is too small to be useful for anything other than listening to music and way overpriced for what it does. The Shuffle is worse than many generic MP3 players that at least come with a display and cost half as much for twice the storage.

the_wolf88

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I almost forgot !

Apple A4 processor = Built by Samsung !

iPhone Screen = Done by Samsung !

Total iPhone: Designed by Samsung !

So Steve stop saying we made this and that !

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I installed iTunes ONCE a long time ago. Never liked using it. I hated the interface and the fact it wants a credit card from you to do pretty much anything on there. Uninstalled and will never put it back on any machine ever. Sorry Stevie.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]SlickyFats[/nom]I installed iTunes ONCE a long time ago. Never liked using it. I hated the interface and the fact it wants a credit card from you to do pretty much anything on there. Uninstalled and will never put it back on any machine ever. Sorry Stevie.[/citation]
As far as I can tell iTunes doesn't require a credit card. If you want to use its online store then it does, but you need a CC to buy stuff so...

Yes other than that iTunes does suck.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Did they just bloat iTunes even more?

Oh, I think Amazon just stole some of Apple TV's thunder. They just announced 99 cent purchases of FOX and ABC episodes effective immediately.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Why in hell are people rebuying the same thing again and again - I'm still using a 2nd gen ipod, going strong! Using foobar2000 with an ipod plugin, I can transfer any file format on there. It's great! No need for that decrepit itunes!!! I mean, I know that it makes sense to redesign things from time to time, but seriously, how may new things can you put in a portable music player, which is what an ipod is. I feel bad for all those parents with teens who will have to make a trip to bestbuy to get a new ipod even though there's nothign wrong with the one they are using now. Ah, the magic of Apple...

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]Why in hell are people rebuying the same thing again and again - I'm still using a 2nd gen ipod, going strong! Using foobar2000 with an ipod plugin, I can transfer any file format on there. It's great! No need for that decrepit itunes!!! I mean, I know that it makes sense to redesign things from time to time, but seriously, how may new things can you put in a portable music player, which is what an ipod is. I feel bad for all those parents with teens who will have to make a trip to bestbuy to get a new ipod even though there's nothign wrong with the one they are using now. Ah, the magic of Apple...[/citation]
Dude, you're using a second gen??

I have a 3rd gen 20GB. The battery held less than an hour of charge after 1 year. Replaced the battery. Hard drive often takes 20+ seconds to load a song. After another couple of years the new battery is dead. I can only turn it on when plugged in. I've used it as a portable hard drive when nothing else was available but it is awful even at that. I find it hard to believe that you're second gen is still going strong.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]christarp[/nom]The ipod touch cameras can't take pictures but can shoot video? lol.[/citation]
It can take pictures. Check out the hand-on video at www.Engadget.com

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]insider3[/nom]So..you can use Netflix which let's you stream unlimited movies for $9.00 a month on any Netflix streaming device including a PS3 and XboX360.. Or you can be an apple fanboy and pay $5.00 a movie just to say you have an iTV.[/citation]
You can stream Netflix on the new AppleTV, too.

It wont make any difference for people who already have PS3 or Xob360.. but for people who have neither of them.... this may make some sence.... may....

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]jgv115[/nom]Anyone know if the new version of the 8gb ipod touch will be the same as a 3rd gen? Will it have the new screen, Apple A4 2 cameras etc?They did this with the new 3rd gen 8gb. It was exactly the same as the 2nd gen.[/citation]

From Apple's website... the 8G new touch will be the same as the others..

dami

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
Noticing some people here are asking why they need another device to stream or watch netflix on. I would be willing to bet the majority of us that visit TH most likely already have a device or method of doing this, be it game console, blu-ray player or htpc. We aren't the targeted market here. Apple might be two years late for us, but there is a large population I bet would spend 100 bucks for a device that connects to their new social networked itunes, streams content from their single home pc, and allows them to rent from home. Not to mention the bonus if they have Netflix.

I predict this will start off(Restart?) fairly large this xmas season, and growing much faster. Apple's name is behind it, and to the general consumer of iPhones and iPods, that's a big selling point. But, you are right, we wont be the largest audience buying.

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Well, looks like I need to quit holding off on that iPod Nano purchase and pick up a Gen5 before all stores have is the new version...

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
The new iTouch does take both HD (720p) video and photos. which is great

... but...... the photo is basically the crop dwon from the video since it is only 960x720...>_<

Status
Not open for further replies.