Apple Announces iPad 2 with Dual-core Processor

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
@itMustBeMagic
No the iPad1 is not obsolete, but even if it is at least it had a one year run. Something I can not say for the Android tablets.
iPad 2 is great, and combined with iOS 4 and all the apps it kicks Xoom's ass down to China town.

G

Not really an apple fan but gotta say the iPad 2 isn't that bad from the looks of it! Kind of confused at no usb ports but oh wells don't really need one. Just tried out an iPad 1 2 days ago and watched Predator on it. Must say was really impressed with the battery life but...kind of concern at Apple's policy on getting new batteries for their device

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
glad i JUST sold my Ipad before the price takes a dump when the new one is out! its the only apple product i own, bought before a long vacation overseas and it was absolutely AMAZING and i loved it. movies etc it was wonderful,. now that android is getting some decent tablets out there that is the direction that i will go.

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
already ipad2 and ipad3 is being talked about. at this rate there will be ipad 5 by the end of the year. What w*nkers, seriously. When will morons learn, just go buy a laptop or netbook instead of this ipad toy crap.

User69

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
So a little bit faster (just because you have a dual core processor doesn't mean its going to be twice as fast, only a Apple fanboy will drink from that river) a little bit thinner, 720 video recording, and a front facing camera which really should of been on the first iPad. I will congradulate Apple for keeping pricing the same, good job, I totally though Apple was going to up the price. But again, no USB, no SD card, no thunderbolt, no flash, no functionality. So...iPad 1.5, when was the iPad 2 comming out? Hopefully the iPad will drop in price to $150-$200 that will be worth the buy. So all those rumors the fanboys were saying about a better screen, actual connectivity, and thunderbolt, nah...Apple wouldn't let the ship sail. Think iPad 10. Really, I don't see anyone using a big 10 inch screen as a video recording device and having a faster processor/graphics isn't really needed on iOS when it doesn't perform anything so why would it need better performance? I know, I know, its shiny and looks thin, WOW! +and no there really isn't an HDMI out, this would be a perfect example called the common Apple lie: with a HDMI ADAPTER you can connect to a APPLE TV, as well with the other expected lies, twice as fast and 9 times better graphics with 10 hours battery life, YA RIGHT!

G

I think I need to spend more time roaming the interwebs looking for product announcements so that I can say I won't be buying "it" and how stupid people are for liking "it."

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]a few minor upgrades and BAM! it's a COMPLETELY new product that everyone will go and buy...o_O[/citation] and this is any different from ANY other company how exactly?

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]soberste[/nom]Fail! I'll get a tablet with SD and USB ports[/citation] You will also get a tablet that has a puny user community. Just sayin. It'll... FAIL.

cirdecus

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]no USB? No tethering? No third party apps? No, thanks.[/citation]

tethering? What would you want to "tether" to it?? Its a stand-alone device, its not like a smart-phone that you carry around with your main computer, it IS a computer.

Third party apps? What are you talking about? Do you think Apple creates all of its apps? No. Third-parties do. If you're talking about apps outside of their itunes ecosystem, then good luck. Everyone is jumping on the ecosystem bandwagon because they realize that its the future. Look at microsoft, nokia, amazon, etc. They are ALL doing the same thing.

G

@smeker

believe it or not im neutral when it comes to the iPad, though my preference would be something like the eee slate with sandy bridge and discreet gfx (or even better an AMD APU) but thats not even in the same market segment as the iPad, the comment about obsolete iPad after a year was directed at ericburnby's assertion that all other tablets would be obsolete after 1 year, personally i believe Apple design these things to become obsolete after a year, that was the beauty of a netbook after all, a throw away mini laptop more or less

User69

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]and this is any different from ANY other company how exactly?[/citation]

Because companies release their new products every month with minor adjustments not every year.

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]a few minor upgrades and BAM! it's a COMPLETELY new product that everyone will go and buy...o_O[/citation]

garbage opinion is garbage.

gtfo hater.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]lLOL at the haters.Minor upgrades? Single core to dual-core is minor? 2X the processor and 9X the graphics is minor? Keeping the same battery life is minor? Adding two cameras is minor? Making it slimmer and lighter is minor? Keeping it at the same price is minor?Yeah, you're right. It's barely an improvement on the old one.Go ahead and buy a competitors tablet. But don't complain at the lack of (and poor selection) of accessories like docks or cases. Don't whine when developers shy away from 30 different tablets, each with slightly different specs. Don't start bitching when, after less than a year, they drop out of the tablet market due to poor sales and you're stuck with an obsolete product.[/citation]

You're ignorant aren't you? Dual core processors actually make it more efficient. So getting a dual core actually helped them on the battery life.

G

I am not crazy about apple products but I have tons of ebooks and I don't really want to sit at my computer to read them. I have not been impressed by any of Apple's competitors products yet.
The new ipad looks tempting. The only thing I would like is a usb port but 64gb is a lot of books so a usb is not all the critical except that adding stuff via itunes seems a little bit of a hassle.

As far as quality of product I would say apple quality is a little over rated. My son went through five ipods on his first ipod during the warranty period and now on the new generation is on his second after two months into the warranty. An extended warranty on this might be worth looking at.

G

@itMustBeMagic: "i guess it's just too much to ask for a tablet that runs mainstream apps"

Um, does sucking Google's cock for extended periods render you unable to do math? As far as tablets are concerned, iOS apps ARE "mainstream apps" based on the number of units sold...

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]jasonpwns[/nom]You're ignorant aren't you? Dual core processors actually make it more efficient. So getting a dual core actually helped them on the battery life.[/citation]

Not true. You are either stupid or have now idea of how multiple core CPUs work, or you are both : stupid and have no idea how shit works...

Status
Not open for further replies.