Apple Announces iPad 2 with Dual-core Processor

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
No Flash? I will get the Xoom, or the 10" Tab if I can justify it as I have the Tab already for the traveling stuff, and a Netbook and laptop for when I am at home or near an AC outlet. Oh and no tethering either, The tethering is a must too.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Haters be Hating as usual. If you don't want it, don't buy it. If we want it, we will buy it. Take your self-righteous attitudes elsewhere and myob. :) It's a solid refresh, no doubt. Would have liked to see the res go up though :/

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
once again Apple sets the standards on what a tablet should look and function like. Apple's marketing makes the competition tablets look like speakn'spells, and they very well could be right.

The third party apps are amazing, the 3d capabilities are shocking, While some aspects of the ios ui are, meh, its fast and responsive....

meanwhile other netbooks and tablets struggle to render websites like cnn.com

G

Man, there are a lot of infantile people commenting on this site. "I hate Apple, blah blah blah."

Apple is just a corporation. Express a criticism, fine, but save your vitriol and hatred for scum like bin Laden and Gadhafi.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]itMustBeMagic2[/nom]the iPad, the comment about obsolete iPad after a year was directed at ericburnby's assertion that all other tablets would be obsolete after 1 year[/citation]

You know, a product can become obsolete for a number of reasons, not just hardware. Perhaps you need to look at the bigger picture instead of looking at specs.

Other tablets will become obsolete because nobody will be supporting or developing for a small number of units. Companies will also stop making accessories. You will have a piece of hardware which might still be excellent, but no support for it.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I think it is hilarious to read some of the anti-Apple comments here.

Love the one about iPad2 being announced and iPad 3 on the way iPad 5 by the end of the year. Any other time the same people talk about Apple its about how they are behind on specs because they only update products once a year.

Get a kick out of the dual-core CPU being nothing, Go to any Xoom story and it's about how much better it is because it is dual-core.

Ad in one of the latest releases from their graphics maker with 9x the performance and the graphics don't matter, even though the company that makes the tech puts it on par or ahead of tegra 2 levels of performance.

Android tablets were better because they put in two cameras (I have an iPad 1 and for the life of me I cannot see the point of a rear camera at all even now) yet they are nothing worth buying buying this tablet for now that the iPad 2 has them.

Lets face it, Apple never try's to wow anyone with the latest hardware specs (even though there really isn't anything lacking here at all for the average user) because they could put out a tablet with a quad core CPU (which I think is this A9 max) with a quad or octal core video card (which I think this graphics chipset max depending on family, 4/series 5 or 8/series 5xt) and it would be somehow lacking to the haters.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Rolled[/nom]Hate apple if you want, but this is solid improvement[/citation]
So was getting rid of my training wheels when i was 6

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]So was getting rid of my training wheels when i was 6[/citation]

An abortion would have been an upgrade for some people's mother's too. o_O

I don't think you need to guess who I'm directing that at eh? Make another stupid comment, please. I've got more.

G

@countingdoyouspeakit

wanna go fly off the handle a bit more, where did i point out that android is mainstream, im not talking google or apple (and i wished i was mature enough to refrain from calling you a retard, but really your comment was retarded), im talking good old windows apps (mainstream is office, it's photoshop, it's tmpeg, it is not some punny thing on some silly market place), when all is said and done and whether you like it or not, the single platform most suited for productivity is windows, iPad, Andoird dont come close to the width and breath that windows affords, yes the interface kinda sux for touch computing but im willing to work with it if it gives me access such a vast library of apps (yes in the old days we called them programs but the technical difference is starting to blur) and given time computing power will become more efficient and MS will eventually develop a true touch interface

@ericburnby

a windows base tablet will limit the impact of obsolescence, the amount of folks running around with core2duo chips and windows xp should attest to this

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Haters will hate.
Great job Apple!
I love the 10 hour battery life with a dual core cpu and GPU.
For the anti-apple troll that trolled about battery not being 10 hours when using HDMI, i have one question, will you carry your HDTV for ten hours around with you? On the subway, to work, at the coffee shop...etc...
You can at least try not to be so stupid..... please.... lol

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Cirdecus[/nom]tethering? What would you want to "tether" to it?? Its a stand-alone device, its not like a smart-phone that you carry around with your main computer, it IS a computer.Third party apps? What are you talking about? Do you think Apple creates all of its apps? No. Third-parties do. If you're talking about apps outside of their itunes ecosystem, then good luck. Everyone is jumping on the ecosystem bandwagon because they realize that its the future. Look at microsoft, nokia, amazon, etc. They are ALL doing the same thing.[/citation]

no, its not a computer.

windows 7, vista, xp, os10 (u hate saying that) and linux boots, those are examples of computers. THIS is an over sized cell phone... without the cell phone.

they should put a real os on it, than have ios apps emulate, or even the os itself as a dual boot, or vr machine, you telling me that 4gb of ram cant fit in their anywhere? than ill tell you you are a lieing sack of crap. 2-3.7gb dedicated to real os, 256mb dedicated to ios, and ios can grab what the real os isn't using when in apps.

THAT would be a real tablet laptop replacement. strip the pretty out of win 7 and os10, can easily get those running on lesser platforms.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]icemunk[/nom]Can it play flash? If not I don't want one.[/citation]
what table can play flash? i am not talking through skyfire's servers either

Von Death

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Darn right haters-gonna-hate. Apple makes it money screwing over customers and releasing products with names like "iPad." Really. The iPad. Not that this comment matters; fanboys will continue to purchase digital arrogance regardless of informed opinions. Oh well, at least I have been able to keep my friends and family safe from Apple's icy grip.

gpog

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]sunflier[/nom]Oh, wait. Too soon??[/citation]

Apple products rank Number one in customer satisfaction by a wide margin.

So people are dumb for buying them and dumb for liking them? ..whatever.

gpog

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Von Death[/nom]Darn right haters-gonna-hate. Apple makes it money screwing over customers and releasing products with names like "iPad." Really. The iPad. Not that this comment matters; fanboys will continue to purchase digital arrogance regardless of informed opinions. Oh well, at least I have been able to keep my friends and family safe from Apple's icy grip.[/citation]

Apple products rank Number one in customer satisfaction by a wide margin.

So people are dumb for buying them and dumb for liking them? ..whatever.

(whoops mis-quote)

Previous 2 / 2

Status
Not open for further replies.